newb with issues..... please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluestreakm3

Reaction score
just started brewing a few weeks ago. brewed a hefeweizen tonight (3rd brew) and when i was adding the yeast, terrible things happened and some of it missed the carboy and ran onto the floor. if i had to estimate, i'd say it was about 10-15% of the tube. (wlp 300) will the yeast be able to compensate? if not, what should i do?

I agree with both posts so far. You'll be fine, rig a blow off tube. Next time don't Relax and Have a Sh#t load of homebrews. It leads to missing the hole! If you wanna have that many HB's then i would suggest getting an ale pail. Its hard to miss the hole in a 7 gallon bucket. ;-)

Its not really a big deal, the only thing you will notice is a little more lag time for the fermentation to start since the yeast will have to build up a little more, but other then that with proper sanatation and what not expect good beer buddy!

thanks for all the help! you know how us newbs tend to worry too much despite the great rdwhahb advice. about the blow off tube, we are using a 6.5 gal carboy. do you still think we should rig the blow off? will the krausen overcome that much head space?

tomorrow will make 14 days in the primary for this brew..... and it's still fermenting. it's still a pretty heavy fermentation too. i'd say a bubble every 10-15 seconds. not worried yet, but was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before?

tomorrow will make 14 days in the primary for this brew..... and it's still fermenting. it's still a pretty heavy fermentation too. i'd say a bubble every 10-15 seconds. not worried yet, but was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before?

As long as there's nothing obviously wrong (infection, funny taste etc) then I'd say don't worry. Just take hydro readings and wait for it to finish.

I used wyeast hefe yeast in my first batch of apfelwein and it took quite a while to calm down.

Latest posts

Back