Newb scratching my head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PimpHandBrew

Reaction score
I just joined week ago and have been reading all types of posts and have really enjoy the knowledge pouring out of my ears. I have, as stated, taken a crack at home brewing, all be it a Coopers DIY kit, and have followed all instruction to the letter. Sanitized twice. (Mild case of OCD) So, on the 25th (this month) I began and now i am at the point in which they (Coopers) say i am to bottle it up. All kinds of excited, dreaming of frosty mugs galore last night.Then I check the gravity which came to 1.017, OG being 1.035. Well first thing i notice was that there was a lot of carbonation. I had noticed that during fermentation that the foam was flatter on one side then the other. Well it tastes and smells cidery. Is it a wasted batch. do i start over, or is there a slim chance of salvation here or what? I just took another whiff and notice what looks to be mold in the specific spot of low foam. man i jacked this up. do i pull a mulligan? anything to save it? . Anything to keep from seeing the nag with that smug ass i told you so look would be great
James

A few basic questions,
1. How long was it in primary?
2. How did you cool the wort down before pitching yeast?
3. What temp did the beer ferment at?

Your gravity sounds a little high there... and from what I know about cooper's kits they're probably telling you to bottle far too soon. Put the lid back on this thing and let it sit for a while. Another 2 weeks should do it just fine, but your gravity readings will tell you better than some guy on a message board.

Also, without pictures it's impossible to tell you what exactly you're looking at, but in light of what I just said above, I'm going to bet it's krausen that has yet to settle - which makes sense. So don't stress, leave the beer in its bucket and come back in a couple of weeks. It sounds like you kept everything clean, so long as your ferm temps are good everything should be fine.

You're only 6 days into primary fermentation. I would sit tight in that fermenter for 3 weeks before bottling! Kit instructions just want you to bottle right away so you go buy another kit.

Your gravity will hopefully finish below 1.017, as it would be just 2.35% ABV right now. Were your hydrometer samples always taken near room temp (60-70F)? If they were taken while still hot, they will be reading lower than they should.

And finally don't throw it away. Time in the primary and time in the bottles will help improve this beer. I doubt you have mold also, especially if this was brand new equipment that was sanitized twice. What did you use to sanitize?

Here's an oppportunity to go buy a case of your favorite beer (with pop tops, no screw tops). Clean and save the bottles for homebrew, but don't bottle that batch yet.

I agree. My 1st batch was the Cooper's OS Lager that came with my micro brew kit from them. Mine was OG 1.048,FG was 1.012. Bottled at 2 weeks,as it finished much quicker than later batches did. Sat in bottles 3 weeks at room temp in a covered box. So be patient,it'll do it's thing in it's own good time.

They stated that after 3 days remove the Krausen ring and put the lid back on and leave it for another 3, then take a gravity reading, with 2 days being constant, then bottle.
I cooled the wort by adding water to the specified temp range, 21c was my temp when yeast was pitched.
The temp for the first 3-4 days was 23c - 20c range. we had a cold snap roll through, and it dropped to 18C last night.
i have attached a pic showing the break in the foam and floating smegma

IMGP0093.jpg

That looks fine to me. Just yeasties. I'd say it's fine and just let it go for a while longer. Another week or two should only make it clearer and better.

Thats the DIY kit from Coopers. Bucket, Krausen ring, and lid.
so it still has a chance. LOVE IT. ok great. you say leave for week or two? I will take that as in wait before bottling???

That's what they say to do with the new DIY FV,remove the krausen ring after initial,vigorous fermentation is over. But those look like flocculated yeasties to me. I agree,it looks fine. But it sounds like it needs another week or to to finish up,clean up it's by products,& settle out more. Patience is a virtue in brewing.

So i will just let it sit. AWESOME. Gonna forego bottling for another 14 days. Might have my keg set up ready to go by then. wasn't looking forward to bottling.
Gentleman, I thank you.
James

No issues with jumping right into kegging, but honestly bottling gets a really bad wrap. I think you will eventually want to be able to do both. If your bottles have the labels already removed, you are talking about 60 minutes of effort if you sanitize in the dishwasher cycle. Maybe 40 minutes more work than kegging, and you can now give them to family/friends.

Thanks again for all the help. I bottled it up yesterday and everything looks to be just fine. It tasted pretty good for flat beer. Will be testing a week from now, cause i have zero patience, and will update on finished product after 2.
Thanks again.
James

Back