New Zealand IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmelione

Reaction score
Recently had Grimm’s Cloud Busting IPA and loved it. Tasted like no other IPA I have tried and now I want to try my hand at brewing something similar. According to Grimm it has a “boatload” of Wai iti hops and touch of Southern Cross. Everything I have read about Wai iti mention its subtle nature and the need to use a lot of it. So with that in mind I have created this recipe. I really want the Wai iti to shine and hope that the touch of Nelson can amplify it.

Anyone else have experience with Wai iti. Do I really need to use this many hops for it to come through?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WYeast 1056
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.00
Original Gravity: 1.07
Final Gravity: 1021
ABV: 6.5%
IBU: 68
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 6.4 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 70

90% lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
5% Vienna
5% Carapils

.6 oz Magnum - Boil 60 min

.75 oz Nelson- Boil 15 min
6 oz Wai iti- Boil 15 min

.75 oz Nelson- Whirlpool 0 min
5 oz Wai iti- Whirlpool 0 min

4 oz Wai Iti - Dry Hop 5 Days
.5 oz Nelson - Dry Hop 5 Days

I think (and hope) that this should finish a bit lower than 1.021. I always shoot for my IPAs to finish close to 1.010 or even lower. The lower the beer finishes, the more the hops can shine.

As for the Wai-iti hops, I've never used them and don't think I've ever tried a beer that was brewed with them either. Just looked them up and they sound interesting, very low typical AA% around 3%. On Farmhouse's website they describe them as "low in alpha acids but high in flavor". I like your idea and amounts on the hop schedule, but I might move the 15 min addition closer to the end of the boil. Maybe move it to 10 min or 5 min and add a little more Magnum at 60 to compensate for the slight loss of IBUs.

I think (and hope) that this should finish a bit lower than 1.021. I always shoot for my IPAs to finish close to 1.010 or even lower. The lower the beer finishes, the more the hops can shine.

As for the Wai-iti hops, I've never used them and don't think I've ever tried a beer that was brewed with them either. Just looked them up and they sound interesting, very low typical AA% around 3%. On Farmhouse's website they describe them as "low in alpha acids but high in flavor". I like your idea and amounts on the hop schedule, but I might move the 15 min addition closer to the end of the boil. Maybe move it to 10 min or 5 min and add a little more Magnum at 60 to compensate for the slight loss of IBUs.

thanks for the input. I was thinking about moving those hops closer to the end, ill probably heed your advice and move them to 10. As far the FG yes that should be lower, not sure why my beersmith has it that high. Ill have to look into that.

wai-iti is best used for aroma IME, I would only add them for a hopstand and dry hop additions and try anything else for flavor and to supplement the hopstand. Id try distributing th 15min wai-iti elsewhere

I recently did a Southern Hemisphere IPA using Rakau, Wakatu, and Galaxy hops. The gravity finished around 1.020 and the residual sweetness it a bit much. Shoot to dry it out a little bit. This was also my first time playing with hops after flameout. I wish I would have extended the hopstand and took away more from the aroma additions.

Experiment and see what works best for you.

I recently did a Southern Hemisphere IPA using Rakau, Wakatu, and Galaxy hops. The gravity finished around 1.020 and the residual sweetness it a bit much. Shoot to dry it out a little bit. This was also my first time playing with hops after flameout. I wish I would have extended the hopstand and took away more from the aroma additions.

Experiment and see what works best for you.

Awesome thanks for the info. Yea the one knock I had on the Grimm Cloud Busting that is inspiring this beer is the sweetness so I want to dry it out a little more. My first time also using Southern hemisphere hops. Really excited to play around wit it. I purchased 16oz of the Wai iti and 8oz of the nelson so I have some room to adjust

oh wait, one thing I missed. do not secondary an IPA. ever
secondaries are largely a thing of the past, and really only reserved for a few choice situations. This isnt one of them. Plus, IPAs are the style that would be hurt the most from a secondary

oh wait, one thing I missed. do not secondary an IPA. ever
secondaries are largely a thing of the past, and really only reserved for a few choice situations. This isnt one of them. Plus, IPAs are the style that would be hurt the most from a secondary

I usually rack most brews to the secondary for clearing unless its a sour. I'll give this a shot when I do my Belma Blaster!

Recently had Grimm’s Cloud Busting IPA and loved it. Tasted like no other IPA I have tried and now I want to try my hand at brewing something similar. According to Grimm it has a “boatload” of Wai iti hops and touch of Southern Cross. Everything I have read about Wai iti mention its subtle nature and the need to use a lot of it. So with that in mind I have created this recipe. I really want the Wai iti to shine and hope that the touch of Nelson can amplify it.

Anyone else have experience with Wai iti. Do I really need to use this many hops for it to come through?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WYeast 1056
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.00
Original Gravity: 1.07
Final Gravity: 1021
ABV: 6.5%
IBU: 68
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 6.4 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 70

90% lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
5% Vienna
5% Carapils

.6 oz Magnum - Boil 60 min

.75 oz Nelson- Boil 15 min
6 oz Wai iti- Boil 15 min

.75 oz Nelson- Whirlpool 0 min
5 oz Wai iti- Whirlpool 0 min

4 oz Wai Iti - Dry Hop 5 Days
.5 oz Nelson - Dry Hop 5 Days

Have you brewed this one yet?

I just had Cloudbusting last night and the one huge critique I've got of this recipe is the yeast. I'd be VERY surprised if they're using the Chico strain for this beer.

The mouthfeel and finish of Cloudbusting had a very soft and almost "watery" kind of finish. Maybe watery isn't the right word, but it wasn't sharp and crisp like chico tends to be.

I made a session IPA with WLP644 Sacch "trois" that had a similar mouthfeel to it. This strain also has a ton of tropical fruit esters that would play really well with the NZ hops. Joe Grimm mentioned being heavily inspired by IPAs while visiting Vermont in an interview and I wouldn't be surprised if they're using one of the new school IPA yeast strains like Conan with this beer.

Cheers!

Have you brewed this one yet?

I just had Cloudbusting last night and the one huge critique I've got of this recipe is the yeast. I'd be VERY surprised if they're using the Chico strain for this beer.

The mouthfeel and finish of Cloudbusting had a very soft and almost "watery" kind of finish. Maybe watery isn't the right word, but it wasn't sharp and crisp like chico tends to be.

I made a session IPA with WLP644 Sacch "trois" that had a similar mouthfeel to it. This strain also has a ton of tropical fruit esters that would play really well with the NZ hops. Joe Grimm mentioned being heavily inspired by IPAs while visiting Vermont in an interview and I wouldn't be surprised if they're using one of the new school IPA yeast strains like Conan with this beer.

Cheers!

Not brewed yet. Ill be brewing it in the next couple weeks, I'm taking my time really trying to nail down the recipe with this one.

I had it on tap again the other day and I completely agree with the yeast, chico is def not the way to go.

Latest posts

Back