New Zealand hop help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00p

Reaction score
My brother brought me back 100 grams each of Riwaka and Kohatu hops from New Zealand. I'd like to brew a beer to highlight them. Any one have a recipe or suggestion? I've read about them, but haven't used them. Thanks in advance.

My brother brought me back 100 grams each of Riwaka and Kohatu hops from New Zealand. I'd like to brew a beer to highlight them. Any one have a recipe or suggestion? I've read about them, but haven't used them. Thanks in advance.

F***ing love Riwaka.
I have some access here in NZ.
Its fantastic in Pilsners.

If you planning on an Ale (IPA/APA) Use it more as a supporting hop - Its very very potent.

Alternatively, brew and IPa with american hops and sub in riwaka as a support where something like cascade is sitting.

Kohatu is nice as well, more fruity, and subtle.

I make a nice Golden Ale

Pilsner CaraPils and Melanoidin 1.054
4kg Pils
250g Carapils
100g of Melanoidin
200g Acid Malt for ph

7g Bittering hop of choice
25g Motueka @ 30
25g riwaka @ 10
25g Motueka @5
35g Kohatu @0 (This has since been changed to Nelson Sauvin)

this is lovely beer, and the Riwaka really shines through.
you can sub the Motueka out for something else Like Styrian Golding or Cascade maybe?

Crusader, thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards an APA style, just because that's mostly what I brew and like to drink. You golden looks pretty hoppy, though- 25g is almost an ounce, right? I may try that if I can find some Motueka, or maybe just sub Saaz. Cheers!

You should Google "Kiwi Express" A very simple recipe. I really enjoyed that beer. it uses Nelson Sauvin, Moteuka and Azaka. (If I remember correctly) You could do a little different version of that.

Back