new zealand double ipa mash ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luddr704

Reaction score
I am seeking advice on the best method to lower the mash ph to 5.2 (if needed). I have a portable ph probe/analyzer. I have 10% phosphoric acid.
Should I grab a mash sample after doughing in, cool to room temp, and measure ph? Should I use one teaspoon of 10%phosphoric acid diluted in one cup of water and mix into the mash if the ph is >5.4? Or, should I pretreat the strike water before doughing in to a ph of 5.2? Should the sparge water ph be below 6.0? Could I use phospho for this as well?

I apologize in advance if this is a redundant thread, couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in the search.

Thank you and Cheers!:mug:

10% seems pretty dilute already.

I wait ten minutes after doughing in to take a pH sample. While the sample is cooling, I add calcium salts to the mash. After ten minutes, the pre-salts pH is measured and a second sample is taken. If the post-salts pH is still above 5.6 (this has only happened twice), I'll add about a mL of StarSan to the mash. There should be no need to correct sparge pH if you're using water with few ions like RO.

That's just how I do it, but it's subject to change as better information arrives!

I have heard its better to treat strike water rather then adding directly to the mash. I wouldnt lower water to 5.2 though, the grains will drop PH of water when they are mixed in. If your mash in already at 5.4 i wouldnt worry too much about treating. Thats pretty darn close. You dont wanna over do it and and end up with a low PH. As for sparge water I wouldnt worry about this unless your water has really high PH to begin with (8 or over).

For future reference I'd suggest reading up on the Brew Science area and checking out the EZ Water Calculator and other water calculators.

Latest posts

Back