New toys!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoore714

Reaction score
I'm still really new to home brewing. Just started in January. I did 3 batches of MrBeer. Then picked up a starter kit from GroupOn in early March. I've done 2 batches with it so far. I can already tell that I hate bottling though. I was hoping to build a keezer before I did my next batch. Sadly, I don't have the budget to buy all the parts at once. So I figured I would start collecting parts a little at a time.

Got a Johnson A419 temp controller on Amazon last week. And picked up a Kenmore 8cu.ft. chest freezer from Sears this afternoon (25% off appliances this weekend). Probably spent more than I needed to... but these should last me for a while. Eventually I'll pick up the CO2 stuff and all the plumbing. For now... I have the makings for a really nice fermentation chamber.

The freezer is big enough to fit two carboys (or a carboy and a bucket) plus three 1-gallon jugs for wine or other small-batch stuff. Should be big enough to fit at least 4 soda kegs when the time comes to make the transition to kegging.

100_4130.jpg

100_4131.jpg

100_4129.jpg

You should check Craig's List.

Ive been watching craigslist for the last month. Figured something decent would come up with people replacing old appliances during tax season. The few that were available around me were either too big, too disgusting, or they wanted as much as it would cost for a new one. A co-worker offered me a free one about this size... but it was at her beach house almost 4 hours away. Would have cost me more in gas to go pick it up than I paid for this one.

I wasnt planning on buying a new freezer until I saw the sale at Sears. Got this 8.8cu.ft freezer for the price of a 5.2. I'm a sucker for a bargain. The plan (for now) is to use it as a fermenter while I continue to collect the parts for a keezer. OR I could just keep this as a fermenter and shop around for a cheap upright fridge to build a kegerator out of. Who knows.

I am in the same boat as you. Just started this year and slowly building up new toys. I got a freezer last month and I love it. I don't have to worry about my ferm temps anymore.

How much did you pay for it? I am currently looking for one too. How Many cubic feet is it? If I may ask that is. :)

It's an 8.8cu.ft. Originally marked $340 at Sears, but I got it for $255. You can find similar sized models elsewhere (Lowe's) for less than $300 as well.

Back