New to using puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhund

Reaction score
My original gravity was 1.072. After going through primary fermentation the gravity came down to 1.014. I racked the beer with blackberry puree into a secondary. When I checked the gravity after a week, it was back to 1.074.

I've used fresh fruit before but never had this issue. All I know is that it is super sweet.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Just totally swagged a recipe...Beersmith only has whole fruit, but it should be comparable.
Seems that you maybe need to rouse the yeast or else add a high grav Trappist strain to finish the job ... WLP099 or BE256?

I presume you're using a calibrated hydrometer? How did you pull the sample from the fermenter? Thief? Rotatable racking arm?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200404-142502.jpg
    Screenshot_20200404-142502.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 5
Used a thief to grab it and yes, it is a calibrated hydrometer. I’ll try the high gravity yeast to try to fire it up again. My wife did say she liked the sweetness of it. If I were to leave it, is there any downside other than the fact it’s to sweet for me?

Used a thief to grab it and yes, it is a calibrated hydrometer. I’ll try the high gravity yeast to try to fire it up again. My wife did say she liked the sweetness of it. If I were to leave it, is there any downside other than the fact it’s to sweet for me?

Something isn't adding up here. The fruit sugars are highly fermentable and adding fruit should have kicked off a vigorous fermentation.

Yes there is a downside. It is highly likely that you would get bottle bombs when the yeast decided they were hungry again.

How did you sanitize the fruit?
Some wine yeasts produce a kill factor and can incapacitate other yeasts in the must. Maybe they were present on the skin of your fruit. Or maybe your yeast you were using just got tired... :oops:

A month or so ago I dumped 10 gallons of 'murrican wheat beer that was a few points from FG atop 9 pounds of fruit puree and a cup of corn sugar. That kicked back up within a few hours, but it still finished at 1.008.

So something is definitely off here. It's simply not possible for 3 pounds of fruit puree to raise the SG of 5 gallons of beer close to finish back up to 70-something points...

Cheers!

Vinters Harvest says the blackberry puree has an SG of 1.036 to 1.065. I wouldnt think this could raise SG of your beer this much.

I would be curious how people calculate the theoretical OG of adding puree. I recently added peach puree to a wheat beer and struggled with this as well. I tried to do a weighted average of SG and came out with a net decrease in OG of the beer. This doesn't seem right...

https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/vintn...s-harvest-blackberry-puree-49-oz-can-1730-d-1

Back