New to the site and hobby.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smjohnson316

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the art of brewing beer. I am only on my second batch my first being an apple flavored ale. I purchased Midwest's Honey Bee Ale kit which is my second batch. I have a slight concern about the results I am getting while brewing this kit. My final gravity is supposed to be 1.012-1.016 but after a week in my primary it is already at 1.004. Is this something to by cocerned about?

Well at 1.004 it is certainly done with fermentation. That said there is a 'clean up' period in the primary fermenter that many folks like to utilize. Wait another 2 weeks and then bottle. What kind of tool are you using to test the final gravity? What was your original gravity? What kind of yeast did you use?

To check the gravity I am using just a basic hydrometer. I have tested just plain water and it reads correct. As far as my yeast I used American Ale Wyeast Propagator. My original gravity was 1.050.

Thanks for Replying

Netflyer,
The only sugar in the kit was for priming. Basically the kit consisted of 3.3 lbs of golden light extract, 3 lbs of clover honey, 1 lb of grains, hops, and priming sugar. I have read some posts that say you can add lactose at bottling if the beer is too dry. One post said the lactose could help bring out the sweetness of the honey. Have you ever used lactose?

Honey equals sugar x 2 :) So that helps explain the really low FG too...

I've not used lactose for that purpose, however I have read on here that the way to use honey is to pasteurize it at about 180 degrees, do not boil it in the wort. Instead add it to the cooling wort or the fermenter after you pasteurize it. See the honey is a major fermentable so the only thing you might bring out is the actual honey taste... the 'sweetness' is going to be eaten by the yeasties... and man they love honey, thus your low finish...

I added the honey when I took the pot off the stove. I am going to let it sit for a few more days in my secondary and take another gravity reading and bottle it. After its bottled for 3 weeks or so I will give it a try. Even if its a little dry I got some friends that would never pass up FREE beer. Thanks for your replies.

hungry4knowhow, I am not Steven Michael. I am Scott Michael which is still pretty darn close.

And I'M Michael Scott.

Oh the irony!! (Not to mention the curse of thinking I had two first names and two last names.....now to discover that I have two MIDDLE names as well.)

Following this??? Nah!

Back