New (to me) kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whattawort

Reaction score
So I just got my hands on 2 ball lock kegs for $20 a pop. Score. BUT here's the thing. The guy that sold them to me said that he had used them for carpet cleaning and the odor is definitely there. Need opinions on how to get that smell out. The kegs themselves are spotless and just need new o rings. I was thinking a double strength bleach soak followed by a a healthy rinse.

Bleach would be a good start. Might also try oxi clean and letting them sit in the sun for a while after draining them. I would definitely run a brush through the dip tube.

Bleach and stainless is not a great idea, it can cause corrosion. Use PBW, or oxiclean on stainless. Anything that can be replaced should be, o-rings, poppets, etc.

Bleach isn't good for stainless, but a short soak probably wouldn't hurt. Replace the o-rings, and replace the poppets. Everything else is stainless and shouldn't hold anything.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I good scrubbing with OxyClean didn't make much of a dent in the smell, but I also haven't had a lot of time to devote to this yet. I just have a batch that finished early on me and I don't have anything for it to go in, so I gotta get moving.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I good scrubbing with OxyClean didn't make much of a dent in the smell, but I also haven't had a lot of time to devote to this yet[...]

You won't get rid of that smell until you replace all of the rings and poppets, and clean everything else thoroughly...

Cheers!

Back