new (to me) keg setup question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith_Mahoney

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a 3 keg setup from kegconnection. The kegs all arrived holding plenty of pressure and smell fine inside. Can I just run starsan through them and the fill them up or should I replace all the O-rings with the new ones which were sent also.
I know replacing all the o-rings isn't hard. I'm just wondering if I should try and get all the life out of these that I can before replacing.

I'd wash/rinse the kegs and then sanitize. Some kegs have been acid cleaned or other toxic chemicals and you really don't want to chance that residue. As for the O-rings, they will last a long time, so I usually just start with new ones and know that it will be years before I have to mess with them again. They are really cheap to replace.

I'd give them a go with oxiclean then rinse and hit with starsan but that is just me. As for the rings if they are holding a seal use them and keep the others handy as spares. Oh and you can get all the rings you will ever need for cheap from McMasters so don't buy them in sets from a brew place.

Back