New to kegging - how to seal ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2008

Reaction score
First keg and no natural pressure after a week. Put 10 to 15 lb co2 on keg after the week and thought I was still loosing pressure- showed only 5lb next day. Turned it upside down for a day and nothing leaking out. Do you need to pressurize a keg with co2 to seal it when you are going for natural co2? If so how much co2?

It might be me but I'm a little confused. Did you prime the beer with corn sugar? If so I think it is a good idea to give the keg a shot to set the lid O-ring. It will need to carbonate like a bottle which means 3 weeks at 70 degrees for natural priming.

Its also a good idea to have some keg lube around as it will help seal the lid O-ring.

I seat the lid with 10 psi, whether I've primed it or plan on forced carbonation. Hookup the CO2, burp the keg to purge the air & remove the CO2. Don't forget, any CO2 you put into the keg will dissolve into the beer. Since the head space is small, a pressure drop after seating the lid is normal.

The priming sugar is probably gone at this point, so you might have to force carbonate.

Thanks - I primed with 3/4 cup of corn sugar and used a food grade silicon on the seal. Guess I will give it another week and see what happens.

First off, did you just get a used keg? If you did, you should have taken it apart and check the o-rings, sealing surface, poppets. You should have pressure tested it before you added the beer. The poppets and o-rings are usually the original, when the keg was new, and may be damaged. That is if you pressured it up and disconnected the QD's.

3/4 corn sugar is too much to prime a 5 gallon keg. Most say 1/3 cup with 1/4-1/2 being the range. I add 1/3 cup and then hit it with CO2 as I hear it seal up. I let it sit for 3 weeks if a lighter beer and up to 5 if a heavier beer. WHen I serve it, if it is not carbed enough for me, I hit it with 20 PSI and let it dissolve into the beer over a couple of days.

3/4 cup of corn sugar in a 5 gal keg might be a bit too much. For kegging you use half the amount you do for bottling. I can't explain the nitty gritty science but if I'm not mistaken it has something to do with headspace.

what happens if you primed with 3/4 cups corn sugar?
theyareontome.gif

what happens if you primed with 3/4 cups corn sugar?

its over carbed and you'll have to vent CO2, let it equalize, and get it back down to a proper CO2 volume.

If you WAY overcarb you might automatically vent by exceeding the safety valve pressure...but that's like 120psi....so unlikely.

kegs won't explode like overcarbed bottles.

Well thanks again. Did not know that you use less sugar in kegging than bottling.
Kegs are used but I did replace all the orings and pressure tested before using.

Back