New To Electric Brewing - Controller Recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
I'm just starting to research electric brewing. I'm looking to do a 3-kettle HERMS setup, with each kettle being 15 gallons.

Ideally I'd like a controller that will allow me to heat the coils in the MLT and BK at the same time (so I can more quickly do back to back batches), and control the pumps including the heat exchange.

Is there such a device out there?

I'm finding that a lot of websites don't explain their control systems all that well so far, so any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks!

I have a BCS-460 (https://www.embeddedcc.com/) and I like it a lot. It's very versatile, and I've been able to change the programming around as I've tweaked my setup over the years.

However, it alone isn't enough: You still have to build the relays/SSRs, power supplies, switches, etc. I know you can buy complete panels from Electric Brewing Supply (http://www.ebrewsupply.com/shop/turn-key-setups/) if DIY isn't your thing. I really like building it myself, but that's not for everyone, and if you don't know what you are doing with electricity, you can kill someone or fry some expensive equipment at the very least.

My only recommendation is to go with the BCS-462 vs 460. You get a lot more inputs and outputs for the extra $100. I've run out of I/O now, so any expansion means upgrading to the 462; I should have done that in the first place!

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/EBC-III-with-Infinite-Power-Control-269p3858.htm

I recommend High Gravity Brweing
I bought the EBC-III , and have NOT had a single problem with it

I have a Boil Coil(tm) in my Kettle - i also use my kettle as a HLT,
and 2 pumps
I pump hot water to my MASH tun
I use the 2nd pump to recirculate cold water for chilling my kettle down

Great People at HGB, Dave was tons of help !

HGB, also has a 3 vessel system on their shelves !!

Steve

Another vote for High Gravity. Although I'm going in a different direction because my time to brew has decreased so much with 5 kids under 8 years old, the EBC III I used worked great. I guess like everything else the 'right' answer depends on what you really want in a controller.

If you decide to go that route send me a message. I'm actually going to be selling my system and parting it out so the EBC III would be available.

Check out http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/. You can either build it yourself or you can buy one directly from them.

I've built the 30a version and it works beautifully.

Yes ! Yes! a thousand times YES

Kal started the movement, there is TONS of info in his chat rooms

Even peopl who did not build an exact copy of his 3 vessel system !

A wealth of info in those forums !

Steve + 2 more cents

I have a 3 vessel eHERMS system and am really liking the controller I got from ebrewsupply. They let me make a couple of customizations to one of their base panels, delivered on time and it has worked flawlessly. I highly recommend checking them out.

Dan

IMHO (and yes, I'm biased) you can't beat the price of the BrewTroller Can easily control your rig, provide as much or as little automation as you could possibly want, and even can handle volume measurement. Control onboard or with a web interface.
I'd love to help you if you have questions

Thanks everybody for the replies. A lot of food for thought here, and I have to admit that I'm not a heck of a lot closer to making any decisions. There seem to be a lot of potential details to control panels that I don't even know what they are. I'm going to have to do a lot more reading...

I went with the BCS 460. i wont say its the "best" but it is flexible. I only run an eBIAB rig now, but I wanted to build BCS in case I didnt like the eBIAB. I wont be going back, but the BCS can control lots of other things , fermentors, glycol chillers keezers etc... I guess a lot depends on how much you are willing to program, or if you want a turn key solution.

Back