New to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtnotkirk

Reaction score
Hi all, and Merry Christmas eve! I'm Kurt, and I have my first batch going into the bottles tonight. I have a conundrum. I bought a BSG kit, with the carboy and bottling bucket and all the other goodies. I read that the carboy was used for further, ie. additional fermentation, so I used the ever so convenient bottling bucket for my initial fermenting. Now, I am wondering how much trouble it is going to cause me by adding the priming sugar to the same bucket when I am bottling? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!
Kurt

You will either have to rack to the secondary vessel, and then clean the bottling bucket, and then rack back to the bucket for bottling, or buy another bottling bucket.

Fermenting in a bottling bucket necessitates extra cleaning. The spigot assembly will need to removed and thoroughly cleaned after each ferment. There are crevices around the sealing washer that can harbor bacteria.

For this beer I would rack to the carboy, clean the bottling bucket, and rack back for bottling. Then buy a bucket or 6.5 gallon carboy for your next brews to ferment in.

Take care in racking that everything is sanitary and no splashing which will oxidize your beer.

edit Adding the priming sugar to the fermentor will stir up the trub layer. You will get sediment in the bottles.

Hey flars. Your advice was spot on! I got thirty three bottles aging in the basement now. Racked like you said. Didn't stir up the trub (is that right? New word for me.) layer at all. Thanks again!

Back