New to brewing, need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustGoFast

Reaction score
My little brother is getting into brewing and wanted a starter kit for Xmas. I'm a big craft drinker but have never done more than dabbled in brewing with others. What would you recommend I get him?

I recommend a book on how to brew or he can find most needed information on the internet. Google How To Brew by John Palmer. From there he will get an idea of what is needed. I would look for a kit that has two buckets, one for fermenting and one for bottling, an air lock, racking cane, thermometer, hydrometer, bottle capper and bottles. Two cases of bottles will hold 5 gallons of brew. Also will need a brew pot. I started with an 8 quart pot, but bigger is much better.

thanks. I've been looking at the starter kit on northern brewer for him, seems simple enough to get him going, but it looks like I missed thier sale by 2 days :(

The midwest supplies one looks to have a 5 gal better bottle whereas the northern brewer one does not. I don't see any other obvious big differences. A 5 gallon better bottle is a nice asset if he ever makes any beer that needs, or should be, racked to a secondary fermenter for a while.

I second getting him a book or two. How to Brew by Palmer, and Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff and Palmer, are two that I think are "must haves".

thanks, I'll have to see which books he has now. He has at least one, but no equipment I had to talk my mom out of buying him a Mr Beer MIcrobrewery kit

thanks, I'll have to see which books he has now. He has at least one, but no equipment I had to talk my mom out of buying him a Mr Beer MIcrobrewery kit

Mr. Beer is a stud! That's how I started and I miss that bugger; however, it'd be better to just go with a 5 gallon kit.

If you wanted to put your own kit together, I'd substitute the 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket for a 6.5 gallon carboy (either glass or better bottle; I prefer glass myself but I'm sure others would say otherwise). A carboy is more interesting to watch than a bucket, and it's amazing to see what actually is going on during fermentation.

Thanks for the help, I went w/ a midwest kit w/ the upgraded carboy and the simcoe IPA.. probably not a great FIRST beer, but as long as he gets a little help he's going to have a delicious product.

Think about giving the Coopers brewing kit a try, I'm on my third batch already and the beer has truned out to be great, it does 5.5 gallons at a time and has everything you need to get started.Also when you get into partial boils, you can still use all of there equipment. Just a thought, and all for about a C-note.:rockin:

Cheers :mug:

Back