New to brewing, could use opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just recently finished my 3rd batch of cider. They have all turned out pretty well so far. It has mostly been store bought apple juice, white wine or ale yeast, and fermenting to dry then bottling a still cider.

I've learned a lot about the brewing processes doing this, and more importantly about patience. The first batch I made went fast. There are 4 bottles left, and they are just starting to get good. However...

I wanted to try something new to me, and brew a sweet(er) cider. Possibly sparkling. I do not have kegs.

At first I read that you can stop fermentation with campden tablets and sorbate. There is a wide variety to the success you can have with this, it seem. From flavor, to shelf life, ect. Also can not carbonate in bottles. I'd rather avoid this unless someone has had very good experiences.

Pasteurizing seems more reliable and much less harmful. I have a great deal of kitchen experience, and I'm not that worried about temp control, or a few bottles that explode in the pot. But...

If I used a procedure that added say (roughly)2lbs of honey and tart cherry juice to taste after fermentation. How long would it take to carbonate. Beer says to two weeks, but that is with a small about of priming sugar, not several pounds? I would expect I might make bottle bombs waiting that long. Should this be something I should check every 2 days? and can I recap the bottle after opening them, or just drink it?

TL;DR

1) Chemicals vs Pasteurizing? Which do you prefer

2) How long to carbonate a back sweetened cider in the bottle before pasteurizing?

Thanks!

I bottle carbonate and have had great success. I primed individual bottles, as opposed to the batch to ensure even spread. I also used an online calculator to help determine how much to prime. I

ended up letting it sit for several weeks, one week at room temperature and two weeks at cellar temperature. Everything came out as expected.

I can imagine if you are careful in your handling, note taking, and measurement there will not be any problems.

I think batch priming is more accurate as long as you mix well. You have measure exact with bottle priming.

Latest posts

Back