New to All grain brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gungnir77

Reaction score
I am about to start my first all-grain recipe this weekend. I just slapped together a 10-gallon Rubbermaid mash tun for using a single step infusion process. I am thinking of trying a simple recipe as my first attempt, like a pale ale or an american cream ale. Since I have only done extract brewing in the past, what advice or techniques do you guys have for me for my first try?

If it is cold, preheat your mash tun.

My first all grain I did in a cold garage with a cold tun. Final mash temp was 140.

1. Add your strike water to your tun 10 degrees over your strike temp, let it sit--lid on for ~ 5 mins, then stir till it drops to your strike temp.

THEN: Add the grain to the water. Preheats the cooler and you hit your #s better.I usually add at 185F.

2. Mark a stick that tells you how much is in your kettle--gallon increments. After you run off your 1st runnings, see how much you collected. Then you know how much sparge water you need to add.

3. Stir, stir, stir--at dough in and every 15 mins. Heat rises, so your mash may be cool in the bottom and too hot at the top. Also helps your efficiency.

4. Have some boiling water ready at dough in. After you stir for ~ 5 mins, close the lid on the tun, let it sit for 5 more mins, stir and check the temp. If it's low you can add a little boiling water to raise the temp. Just let it sit before you try to cool or raise the temp.

5. Don't drink. Too much going on. Wait till the yeast is pitched.

6. Put your hop/kettle additions in ziplock snack bags with the addition times sharpied on them. Throw the irish moss in the bag with the 15min hop addition.

7. Don't get frustrated. Post a help thread on here if you have problems.

8. Calibrate your thermometer: 32F in icewater, 212 boiling

9. Cover your mashtun with a blanket. Most coolers don't have insulated lids. Heat rises, so cover it to keep heat in.

Good luck and have fun!:tank:

*excellent* tips. Bravo!

M_C
1. Add your strike water to your tun 10 degrees over your strike temp, let it sit--lid on for ~ 5 mins, then stir till it drops to your strike temp.

THEN: Add the grain to the water. Preheats the cooler and you hit your #s better.I usually add at 185F.

2. Mark a stick that tells you how much is in your kettle--gallon increments. After you run off your 1st runnings, see how much you collected. Then you know how much sparge water you need to add.

3. Stir, stir, stir--at dough in and every 15 mins. Heat rises, so your mash may be cool in the bottom and too hot at the top. Also helps your efficiency.

4. Have some boiling water ready at dough in. After you stir for ~ 5 mins, close the lid on the tun, let it sit for 5 more mins, stir and check the temp. If it's low you can add a little boiling water to raise the temp. Just let it sit before you try to cool or raise the temp.

5. Don't drink. Too much going on. Wait till the yeast is pitched.

6. Put your hop/kettle additions in ziplock snack bags with the addition times sharpied on them. Throw the irish moss in the bag with the 15min hop addition.

7. Don't get frustrated. Post a help thread on here if you have problems.

Good luck and have fun!:tank:

Got a wort chiller? If not, get one. You don't want to chill a full boil in an ice bath.

No, I don't just yet, but I am buying a new 8-gallon brew kettle today. i planned on picking up a wort chiller too.

RCCOLA said:

Wow, I never thought to do this! What kind of suggestions do you have for type of stick?

Wow, I never thought to do this! What kind of suggestions do you have for type of stick?

You can use a dowel, your spoon etc.

My kettle is marked every 2 gals. so I scratched a line to mark every gallon INSIDE it with an awl and then an arrow pointing at the scratch.

Also marked 1/2 gals. at 6.5, 7.5 level.

Great advice. I hope to do my first all grain either this weekend or next. And, I plan on making the Bee Cave Haus Pale.

-peabody304

Added a couple.

8. Calibrate your thermometer: 32F in icewater, 212 boiling

9. Cover your mashtun with a blanket. Most coolers don't have insulated lids. Heat rises, so cover it to keep heat in.

So far everything non this thread has been a huge help. I still haven't done my first batch yet, though. I'm very paranoid about getting everything right and still researching efficiency techniques and batch sparging.Batch sparging sounds very simple to do but a lot of people are coming up saying they are getting rather poor efficiency. does anyone have opinions on the best brewing software to use for caluclations? I am installing an eval version of ProMash to see if it is worth buying.

IMHO batch sparging is the best way to go. I use this mash tun/method and it's worked great for me for years now. http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

I get 75-80% efficiency with it.

When you get ready to brew and have your ingredients, post them on here and I'll walk you thru a brewday using your ingredients as the template.

It's not that hard. All you're doing is mixing hot water with grains after all.

As far as software, I've always used the free one here http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Ditto; half the fun of homebrewing is drinking previous success' while brewing. I find that if I have a detailed checksheet & a timer, it keeps me from forgetting anything. (So far:mug:)

Just so long as you don't drink too much while you're brewing... You need to be sober enough to not forget anything important, or F something up... Not saying don't drink HB while brewing HB, just be sober enough.. :drunk:

The brew-day before the one this past Sunday, we were sampling previous brews (some still in fermenters) while the water was getting up to temp... Some of them are strong enough to get you buzzed with only a couple of ounces each (well, at least by the time we went through them all)... Course, it didn't help that we hadn't really had anything to eat yet. :tank:

Don't fear AG. It can be a bear sometimes but if you have very little equipment, just follow some of the guidelines posted here on HBT like volume and temp of strikewater, length of mash, volume of sparge water and all that stuff. Even if you are off a little here and there with the exception of pitching temps and ferment temps, it is kind of hard to really mess up an all grain batch.

If I can do all grain on my third batch and not blow it, anyone can.

I plan on using Ed's Bee Cave ale recipe. I already plugged it into my eval version of ProMash, the local brewing supply store sells all the ingredients, so I should be ready to go this weekend.

Don't fear AG. It can be a bear sometimes but if you have very little equipment, just follow some of the guidelines posted here on HBT like volume and temp of strikewater, length of mash, volume of sparge water and all that stuff. Even if you are off a little here and there with the exception of pitching temps and ferment temps, it is kind of hard to really mess up an all grain batch.

If I can do all grain on my third batch and not blow it, anyone can.

I second that going all grain isn't as difficult as some seem to think it is. With a modest set of hardware (you don't even need a converted cooler) you can get into all grain brewing. Get into the habit of using starters for your yeast, and properly preparing the wort for the yeast (important no matter what brew type you make) and you'll get good beer.

With all grain brewing, YOU have more control over what's going into the brew. No more trying to guess what is really in that malt extract. Now you get to determine what grains are in your brew. So, you get to make more of what you really want.

Personally, I think that having that level of ingredient control makes for better brews/beers. Of course, if you F it up, you only have yourself to blame. :D

I went ahead and did my first AG batch last weekend. It went extremely well. I hit my dough-in temp perfectly, and got about 1.055 for the OG. I used Ed's Haus Pale Ale recipe, but the brewery supply store was out of Vienna, so I used Light Munich as a substitute. It has a very active initial fermentation from Monday-Wednesday morning. I will transfer to my secondary this Saturday and bottle the following weekend. I will let you know how it goes, but all in all, I am very surprised how well it went.

I went ahead and did my first AG batch last weekend. It went extremely well. I hit my dough-in temp perfectly, and got about 1.055 for the OG. I used Ed's Haus Pale Ale recipe, but the brewery supply store was out of Vienna, so I used Light Munich as a substitute. It has a very active initial fermentation from Monday-Wednesday morning. I will transfer to my secondary this Saturday and bottle the following weekend. I will let you know how it goes, but all in all, I am very surprised how well it went.

Awesome, I'm glad everything went well for you. Welcome to the AG club.

After force carbing Ed's Bee Cave Pale Ale for a day or two in my keg I sampled it last night. It's a little over carbed but I am going to vent it a bit over the next few days and it should good by Saturday. I see what everyone is talking about with this recipe. It tastes like a standard commercial American beer, but with actual flavor! I imagine it's going to go real fast at my crawfish boil party this weekend.

Another suggestion is for your brew pot. I would go for something bigger than 8 gallons, I find a 15 gallon converted keg to be the best bang for your buck. Only done 2 AG batches but already had a preboil volume of 9 gallons, that 8 gallon pot is going to hold you back IMHO.

This thread had all the info I needed to do my first AG Batch Sparge:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/all-grain-tutorial-nut-brown-ale-77705/

Guys, I just wanted to revisit this thread. I have brewed about 10 all grain batches since my first post. I have done it sober, I have done it drunk, I have done it while boiling crawfish, and I have even sprained an ankle trying to run to the water hose faucet to turn it on to chill the wort when making my custom chocolate bock recipe. Thank you all for your support.

Back