NEW SYSTEM/First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pump up to boil kettle.
DSC00113.JPG

Boil
DSC00112.JPG

Ok. . .this thread has turned into a blog. . .

Oh well. . .final entry:

OG 1.052--just shy of my mark--hit 70%, which isn't too bad on a first time brew with a new system. Everything else worked great. The automation is wonderful. I'm sure as I get used to it, and the process, it will be even better. Now 20+ gallons of beer is sitting in the fermenter waiting to begin fermentation. . . . :D:mug:

Just saw something I'd recommend changing in this image:

DSC00268.JPG

It's in the wrong place. You want the thermometer in the liquid stream, not the aerated stream. It can't get a good reading amongst all those bubbles.

Matter of fact, I think that whole setup could use some tweaking. Using the above image as a guide, I'd have the bitter wort coming in from the far right. I'd have the thermometer where the wort-in is now, and the sight glass all the way on the output. I'd move the other T to where the sight glass is now, and put the aeration stone in that T. Of course, that depends on the thermometer's length of stem and how exactly the aerator is designed.

If that's not clear, I'll try and doodle it for you. Nice system, though, dude! It's shiny! :D

Bob

I used the aerator as I received it. . .although I like your idea. the length of the stone and the internal tube limits its rearrangement some, but I see what you are saying. I will try to play around with it and post some pics. . .

Some doodling may help too. . .I'm a little confused :confused::mug:

Biermann, nice pics and nice brewery you have there! :) Having gone through a divorce after 19 years of marriage I'm well aware of the pain, it was the divorce that drove me on to all-grain brewing ironically. :) So she did me at least one favour anyway.

Biermann, nice pics and nice brewery you have there! :) Having gone through a divorce after 19 years of marriage I'm well aware of the pain, it was the divorce that drove me on to all-grain brewing ironically. :) So she did me at least one favour anyway.

Strange how things like that happen, isn't it? The brew day was very cathartic--and the beer will be even more so. I am planning on a "de-anniversary" party to drink the beer (my anniversary was Dec. 18th). So, the irony is as follows: She buys me the brewery. . . then she files for divorce--We get divorced, I brew my first beer, and have a party with the beer from the brew system she bought me to decommemorate my anniversary. Kinda convoluted, I know, but it works. :mug:

Back