NEW StrangeBrew Elsinore Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another weird question for others, i am pretty sure im going to do it regardless but i figured i'd check

Based on how my box is sized and where my power cord comes in i cant really use the cable relief that came with the cord...

My plan was to get the cable into place(it barely fits through the hole i drilled) and jbweld the **** out of it to the box from the inside, which should be as strong or stronger than the cable relief? I mean im mounting the box to a stand eventually so it will never move, i guess it just needs to be trip proof to some extent but with ring connectors on the end going to a terminal block + jbweld i fail to see how it could possibly fail even if i held the cable and threw it off a building.
You can get strain reliefs to fit holes. Look up "strain relief grommets"

Thanks i managed to find one and its on its way tommorrow, should be the last thing i need before putting the electronics in.

With 3 Contactors, RPI, 2 Relay Sainsmart board and a 12V power supply its going to be a damn tight fit.

I think im going to have to mount my terminal block to the side wall, i cant decide if i should just jbweld it or screw it through the wall with some m3 plastic screws and bolts.

attachment.php

Brew on :mug:

It is my preference to have transistor terminals referenced appropriately. In this case, the base of the transistor, I would give it a reference to ground. This can be taken care with a 10K resistor. Put the resistor from the node between GPIO Pin and the left terminal of the base resistor to ground.

This keeps the base from flapping in the wind.

Resistors are cheap enough to make it a habit.

The value of the collector resistor strikes me as unnecessarily low. I am going to guess you could use a value like 2.2K. The lower the value of the resistor, the more current it will draw and that will take away from the current total budget of an R-pi.

Hmmm from what i can tell i need a 1" hole for any of the strain reliefs for a 5/8" cable like this is. If im just missing something and you know of something else let me know otherwise i may have to plug this hole and drill another one somewhere else i dont think i can get it to 1" before hitting the side wall.

I think im going to have to plug that hole and come in from the side of the box which is the only place with space for a hole that big.

I'm having trouble getting my system to recognize the DS2450 and PH Sensor. I have used the same hardware as Doug and hokked it up to my onewire bus which works fine for temp probes.

Voltages are good but I could use some advice on how to troubleshoot this better.
Tx

JT

WARNING: RaspberryPi has updated to Linux Kernel 4.0 by default, I don't actively use the Pi for my development, and as such, I don't know if it will cause any issues with Elsinore, if anyone wants to try it with Elsinore, feel free, but if you see any issues please report them with as much detail as possible.

I'm having trouble getting my system to recognize the DS2450 and PH Sensor. I have used the same hardware as Doug and hokked it up to my onewire bus which works fine for temp probes.

Voltages are good but I could use some advice on how to troubleshoot this better.
Tx

JT

Are you using OWFS?

I use the same temp probes and xlr connectors that are used on The Electric brewery build, in fact I purchased them from them.

My question, as I know nothing about Raspberry Pi, but am intrigued, and about ready to re-do my stand as I want to go to 100% electric, will those probes work with a Raspberry Pi and your software?

My thoughts are, getting a raspberry Pi, and maybe a 7-10.1 inch touch screen and placing that in an enclosure, and running your software wireless from my own network here at home.

As I have some cash already tied up into the probes and cables and connectors, I am hoping I can re-use for this possible upcoming project.

Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Stephen

I use the same temp probes and xlr connectors that are used on The Electric brewery build, in fact I purchased them from them.

My question, as I know nothing about Raspberry Pi, but am intrigued, and about ready to re-do my stand as I want to go to 100% electric, will those probes work with a Raspberry Pi and your software?

My thoughts are, getting a raspberry Pi, and maybe a 7-10.1 inch touch screen and placing that in an enclosure, and running your software wireless from my own network here at home.

As I have some cash already tied up into the probes and cables and connectors, I am hoping I can re-use for this possible upcoming project.

Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Stephen

If you are using pt100 proves then, no, they will not work with Elsinore. But the good news is that you can buy 5-10 Dallas probes for around the same price as one of the pt100 probes.

Not at this point, an adapter would cost $15 per probe and I don't have any.

Not at this point, an adapter would cost $15 per probe and I don't have any.

Most of those adapters I've seen are for k-type the pt 100 uses 3 wires and most adapters only have 2 wire inputs. And like I said you can get a pack of 5 dallas probes for less than 15 bucks.

could you point me to the correct Adapter?

Looking on eBay I see about 3 different models. The one that might work in your case has no price. Just a send me a quite form. Which means it's likely hundreds of dollars. One only uses 4 wire rtd probes which would mean you'd have to cut yours apart and pull the resistor out and add the fourth wire yourself. The other one is in all Chinese, and I can't really tell if it was what I was actually looking for. I'm doing the exact same thing you are proposing (waiting on touchscreen from Amazon as we speak) and I've bought numerous Dallas probes for other projects. You could build your own for even cheaper, but buying new probes is the way to go. I mean there will be a dignitary cost because now I'll need thermowells instead of the screw in probes I had before. But after fighting with the pt100s just about everytime I fire up my system because they don't like if a single wire is 1 mm longer than the other, I can tell you the Dallas probes are the way to go. First off you won't be back here trying to get everyone else in the forum to help you with a piece of hardware that no one else uses. Secondly, if you at afraid of how durable they are or how long they'll last, just go to alibaba and buy a 100 pack. There are a multitude of sellers on eBay and they are all super cheap.

Fixed some UI issues.

Graph now renders correctly
Preview graph now has correct labels
"Send Command" button is now correctly styled.
Mode buttons and "Send command" buttons are now centered correctly.

Can you see the DS2540 when you're in OWFS? What's the address?

I don't seem to see it. I do see the temp probes.

I checked voltages and I have 5 volts and the blue LED on the PH sensor board is lit.

In my /sys/devices/w1_bus-master1/ directory I have the 4 temp probes listed (28-000003faxxxx) and then another directory 20-00000014ec6f which I assumed was the DS2450.

JT

I don't seem to see it. I do see the temp probes.

I checked voltages and I have 5 volts and the blue LED on the PH sensor board is lit.

In my /sys/devices/w1_bus-master1/ directory I have the 4 temp probes listed (28-000003faxxxx) and then another directory 20-00000014ec6f which I assumed was the DS2450.

JT

The 20 family is the DS2450, but if it's not showing up in OWFS that's beyond the scope of elsinore.

The schematic and the parts list down not match up. Parts list says you get a 2 pin terminal block and a 3 pin terminal block, 5 terminal points. The schematic shows 15 terminal points.

If we assume it will works. You can pass multiple SSR control signals through the Mosfet.

Going by the parts list, I assume you are making a switch that pulls to ground. Put a positive source on the plus terminal of your SSR. Use this to switch the negative side of the SSR control. Your On/Off goes into the Mostfet gate. (marked control where the resistor connects)

In reading through the thread it looks like the Pi can not handle more than one SSR connected directly to one of the GPIO pins. I am trying to connect multiple SSR's and thought this would be a bit cleaner instead of wiring things directly to a Mosfet. Does this make since?

In reading through the thread it looks like the Pi can not handle more than one SSR connected directly to one of the GPIO pins.

You need to look at what your particular SSR. Determine what the trigger requirements are. Voltage level, current draw, etc. Then look at what a Rpi GPIO can handle.

I believe the Rpi has a maximum you can draw, in total, through all the GPIO pins.

When you use this 10K resistor & mosfet, the Rpi GPIO pin sees a 10K resistor. With a 3.3v Rpi GPIO, that counts as .33 ma.

I am trying to connect multiple SSR's and thought this would be a bit cleaner instead of wiring things directly to a Mosfet. Does this make since?

The screw terminal blocks make termination easier. You have to figure out how you are going to secure the PCB in place.

On the drawing I was looking at under the Raspberry Pi setup, it says to connect the DS18B20 data line to the RPi pin 4. On my RPi 2 model B, pin 4 is another 5v pin. Should I be using GPIO04 (GPIO-GCLK) on pin 7?

Yes, I can't believe that I missed that and no-one pointed it out.

Great, thanks! Just to clarify for myself and others (because my "right" and "top" may be different than yours): GPIO04 as in pin 7, as shown on this pinout. Maybe people who know what they're doing count pins from the right and orient the board differently than me, but I'm going off of that pinout image. Correct me if I'm wrong!

GPIO_Pi2.png

I have a question I finally got my pi all wired up and installed the software all probes are working fine pumps working and ssr. My question is I see that there is a new option to control the size of the temp gauges however when I set the to the size I want after rebooting the system the size that I pick has to be reset is there anyway to set this size as a default? I am also having issue getting the script to auto run at boot up. I cp the Elsinore.debian to the /etc/init.d folder and did the update as per the instructions when I do a sudo services Elsinore start is says it's running with PID ???? But when I try to access the server is is not up. Any help that anyone can provide would be great thank you.

I have a question I finally got my pi all wired up and installed the software all probes are working fine pumps working and ssr. My question is I see that there is a new option to control the size of the temp gauges however when I set the to the size I want after rebooting the system the size that I pick has to be reset is there anyway to set this size as a default? I am also having issue getting the script to auto run at boot up. I cp the Elsinore.debian to the /etc/init.d folder and did the update as per the instructions when I do a sudo services Elsinore start is says it's running with PID ???? But when I try to access the server is is not up. Any help that anyone can provide would be great thank you.
Did you chmod +X the script?

I know you can set SBE to run as a service at startup, but wasn't sure if this was limited to a specific OS. I am running Rasbian on my Pi B+.

Can i set it up as a service? My brew partner isn't computer savvy so ideally i would like him to be able to just turn on the control panel and then open the web interface on his tablet to start heating up water in the HLT.

I already have a static IP set on the Pi.

No it's just one of those threads that seems to be a barren wasteland at times once the posts start back up though they'll flow for a few days and then die back down.

I know you can set SBE to run as a service at startup, but wasn't sure if this was limited to a specific OS. I am running Rasbian on my Pi B+.

Can i set it up as a service? My brew partner isn't computer savvy so ideally i would like him to be able to just turn on the control panel and then open the web interface on his tablet to start heating up water in the HLT.

I already have a static IP set on the Pi.

I think the Debian init.d script should work for you

I have a Hosehead with the B+ in it, and I have Elsinore running as a service. The instructions to do so are in the readme on Doug's github site. You probably already have the files from your install, but they are available on github too if you don't.

I have a Hosehead with the B+ in it, and I have Elsinore running as a service. The instructions to do so are in the readme on Doug's github site. You probably already have the files from your install, but they are available on github too if you don't.

I must have skipped over that. I will give it a look again.

thanks,

Back