NEW StrangeBrew Elsinore Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holy crap... how did you download elsinore?

Really had no issue downloading or cloning. Not the fastest connection but after all I'm in the woods in the middle of almost nowhere. Can connection speed have anything to do with it. I really have to buckle down and study up on the whole overlay structure. Discovered I really wasn't clear on how they worked.

Really had no issue downloading or cloning. Not the fastest connection but after all I'm in the woods in the middle of almost nowhere. Can connection speed have anything to do with it. I really have to buckle down and study up on the whole overlay structure. Discovered I really wasn't clear on how they worked.

Everything appears to be corrupted in your installation.

I'd recommend you download the repository as a ZIP https://github.com/DougEdey/SB_Elsinore_Server/archive/master.zip

And see if that helps.

I will do that. But I have done at least 3 fresh installs and it always has the same set of issues./ Maybe one more is the charm.

Something is fundamentally wrong with your local copy. Whether it's being corrupted during download, or because of something locally, I cannot help you with. Sorry, but this isn't something I can help you with.

Something is fundamentally wrong with your local copy. Whether it's being corrupted during download, or because of something locally, I cannot help you with. Sorry, but this isn't something I can help you with.
No problem - I think I have a plan. I'll let you know if it works. At least now I know what I am dealing with.

No problem - I think I have a plan. I'll let you know if it works. At least now I know what I am dealing with.

Unfortunately, this is a case of something specific and weird in your situation, and I can only tell you "Somethings wrong". If this was something on my end, more people would be broken.

Did a quick test of the cooling hysteria and it's looking good! I'll keep a close eye on it this week and let you know if any issues come up.

Cosmetic things:
-Probe names on the graph page do not necessarily appear as they do on the controller page. e.g. if there's a space in the probe name, that probe is identified as Boil%20Kettle on the graph page.
-The duty crescent graphic doesn't change colour when cooling occurs (at least with hysteria mode, haven't tried the others). It previously turned red during negative duty. Probably a lot more work than it's worth, but it'd be really sharp looking if it turned blue when cooling and red when heating.

Try now :)

It's not perfect, when cooling it shows a positive number, but I changed it so that the title represents the state. I had to dig around a lot to get everything to work, but it's good now. I think :)

All of this information is spread across hundreds of posts. This warrants a Wiki, not necessarily a new thread :) :tank:

Doug, I have all the hosting you could imagine if you need a place. I can also set it up if you want.

Jangeeva has a blog with lots of documentation on it. I have a load of pages at http://dougedey.github.io/ (some are out of date, but not by much), I have no problems with anyone converting it to a wiki and using ads to ensure they aren't out of pocket.

Edit; To expand, I love the community that is forming around this product, and I think it would be fantastic for everyone to collaborate on the Wiki project, since this would give me incredible feedback as to how people use the system and how I can improve it.

Unfortunately, this is a case of something specific and weird in your situation, and I can only tell you "Somethings wrong". If this was something on my end, more people would be broken.

Don't disagree with your diagnosis. I did take your advice and got all new software. One thing I did discover was somehow my version of Ubuntu was 14.04.2 and not 14.04.1. So I used that. I now have no errors in the elsinore.log or errors that appear in a getstatus page. I still have no Mash Step options but but I can work around it until I finally get this thing figured out. I am leaning toward a permissions issue. But we'll see, thanks for all your help.

Don't disagree with your diagnosis. I did take your advice and got all new software. One thing I did discover was somehow my version of Ubuntu was 14.04.2 and not 14.04.1. So I used that. I now have no errors in the elsinore.log or errors that appear in a getstatus page. I still have no Mash Step options but but I can work around it until I finally get this thing figured out. I am leaning toward a permissions issue. But we'll see, thanks for all your help.

I'm not sure why permissions would cause issues, or why you can't see the mash step options in the UI.

This is my lsb_release-a output:

elsinore@brewery:~/SBBACKUP$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

This is on BBB, and it's my primary development platform.

I wish I could help you more but there's nothing I can think of that would prevent the mash steps from showing up without an error.

Actually, when in edit mode, in the javascript console of the browser run:

$("#triggerTable" + vesselProbe).length

Where vesselProbe is one of the temperature probe addresses, you will need to wrap it in quotes.

If it returns 0, then it's not adding the table, if it returns anything else, rerun without the length:

$("#triggerTable" + vesselProbe)

And please provide what it gets. I suspect the class isn't being rendered for some reason.

Jangeeva has a blog with lots of documentation on it. I have a load of pages at http://dougedey.github.io/ (some are out of date, but not by much), I have no problems with anyone converting it to a wiki and using ads to ensure they aren't out of pocket.

Edit; To expand, I love the community that is forming around this product, and I think it would be fantastic for everyone to collaborate on the Wiki project, since this would give me incredible feedback as to how people use the system and how I can improve it.

I don't need ads. I do need details and volunteers to help maintain it. I can provide the hosting space/bandwidth/SQL and full admin access to it. If you want a domain/subdomain you'll need to register it and I can tell you where to point it (I can host your own "dougedey.com" and a "wiki.dougedey.com" if you want a personal site too. You've given this community a ton!)

Another option is to utilize /r/StrangeBrew and develop a wiki through that (i.e. put something in the sidebar)

I'm partial to this option as /r/homebrewing is currently the largest online homebrewing community... Those users can be easily accessed in this format. It takes no work to get up and running because... it already is. The post format I think is appropriate for those encountering difficulties or sharing tips because of the rapid development of SBE. etc

Last edited:
Another option is to utilize /r/StrangeBrew and develop a wiki through that (i.e. put something in the sidebar)

I'm partial to this option as /r/homebrewing is currently the largest online homebrewing community... Those users can be easily accessed in this format. It takes no work to get up and running because... it already is. The post format I think is appropriate for those encountering difficulties or sharing tips because of the rapid development of SBE. etc

The problem with r/strangebrew is gaining ownership of it. https://www.reddit.com/r/redditrequest has specific rules that my new account doesn't match.

Hello. I still have problems with the establishment of GPIO . I've discovered that the probes must be put in uppercase ( lowercase fails ), but not for triggers this run in lowercase .

I attach a log where I was not able to run elsinore and had to use a few months ago stable version.

Problems are trying to configure the probes, and that worked gpio activation , which was not working for me these day. Attach a lot of errors:

http://pastebin.com/FRhFjde1

Finally I like the idea of ​​the wiki .

the latest release is running great on my pi2 thanks doug. im still experimenting with it and my setup and performing some dry runs

Hello. I still have problems with the establishment of GPIO . I've discovered that the probes must be put in uppercase ( lowercase fails ), but not for triggers this run in lowercase .

I have found that on my pi2 when you specify a gpio when creating a pid it has to be in capitals - not a problem at all if you know that
for example "GPIO22" not "gpio22" I can however name the probe in capitals or lower case and it works great.

just a thought and probably not a problem but have you tried setting your pi or bbb to english language ?
I see your error codes are all in spanish / english mix

cheers

mike

Hi Doug and others :)

i'm newbie homebrewer and i'm trying this great software.
Everything is running well, but i need small help.
I'm running this on rPI 2 , latest raspbian, and i need help, how to setup autostart elsinore after boot up.
When i try to add launch.sh to cron after boot start, my cpu is on 50% load all the time ( elsinore is running )
When i start manually launch.sh , cpu is on 50% too.
But when i try start it manually via terminal with: sudo java -jar Elsinore.jar , cpu load is 0-1% and elsinore is running.

Can anybody help me with this ?
Thank you and sorry for my english. I'm from czech republic :)

the latest release is running great on my pi2 thanks doug. im still experimenting with it and my setup and performing some dry runs

I have found that on my pi2 when you specify a gpio when creating a pid it has to be in capitals - not a problem at all if you know that
for example "GPIO22" not "gpio22" I can however name the probe in capitals or lower case and it works great.

just a thought and probably not a problem but have you tried setting your pi or bbb to english language ?
I see your error codes are all in spanish / english mix

cheers

mike

Yes, problem is with gpio name.
Next tests I config rpi in english for better log comprension.

The language doesn't matter to me. I get the information I need easily. I will take a look at the exceptions when I get back

I was wondering if Spanish characters were causing a naming problem - a very long shot and probably got nothing to do with it - but I wouldn't know. I had problems in the past when I used / and () in the names but I think Doug has fixed that

The other thing I have noticed is recently git hub seem a bit unreliable. I don't know if anyone else has had problems.blk water brewer has discussed it. I down loaded the latest version last week and when I Fired Elsinore up it was full of bugs. After an hour of playing I deleted it and downloaded it again and it now works great. I don't know if that's a git hub problem, my internet or files etc that were left behind on the pi. All I know is downloading it again fixed it - might be worth a go .

Cheers

Mike

I was wondering if Spanish characters were causing a naming problem - a very long shot and probably got nothing to do with it - but I wouldn't know. I had problems in the past when I used / and () in the names but I think Doug has fixed that

The other thing I have noticed is recently git hub seem a bit unreliable. I don't know if anyone else has had problems.blk water brewer has discussed it. I down loaded the latest version last week and when I Fired Elsinore up it was full of bugs. After an hour of playing I deleted it and downloaded it again and it now works great. I don't know if that's a git hub problem, my internet or files etc that were left behind on the pi. All I know is downloading it again fixed it - might be worth a go .

Cheers

Mike

I did find that pulling down all new copies, including my Ubuntu, removed most of my errors. I still have one issue with the GUI but all the GPIO and save errors have disappeared.

hi loky and welcome

i did it like this and it works great on my rpi2

http://www.opentechguides.com/how-to/article/raspberry-pi/5/raspberry-pi-auto-start.html

just plug in an it boots up

shutdown with the new shutdown button feature

then unplug rpi

ive had elsinore running like this for over a week with no problems

cheers

mike
Thanks for your quick reply Mike,
This is running, but after boot up is CPU load high, the same situation as i described with crontab or manualy start launch.sh script.
i don't understand, why is cpu load too high when i start server via launch script, and low cpu load, when i manually start via command line directly using sudo java -jar Elsinore.jar :(

Here you can see screens from htop command, sorted by cpu usage :
http://www.valachnet.cz/loky/elsinore/

Thanks for your quick reply Mike,
This is running, but after boot up is CPU load high, the same situation as i described with crontab or manualy start launch.sh script.
i don't understand, why is cpu load too high when i start server via launch script, and low cpu load, when i manually start via command line directly using sudo java -jar Elsinore.jar :(

Here you can see screens from htop command, sorted by cpu usage :
http://www.valachnet.cz/loky/elsinore/

Can you try running "kill -3 <java 100% CPU pid>" and provide the generated javacore file with the htop output that matches it so I can try to draw comparisons.

I attach a log where I was not able to run elsinore and had to use a few months ago stable version.

Problems are trying to configure the probes, and that worked gpio activation , which was not working for me these day. Attach a lot of errors:

http://pastebin.com/FRhFjde1

Finally I like the idea of &#8203;&#8203;the wiki .

This should be fixed.

Can you try running "kill -3 <java 100% CPU pid>" and provide the generated javacore file with the htop output that matches it so I can try to draw comparisons.

Hi Doug,
when i try use kill -3 PIDnr., nothing happens.
I have small question directly to you, can i give you ssh acces directly to my rPI2 ? i'm beginner with rPI/linux.
Thank you

Hi Doug,
when i try use kill -3 PIDnr., nothing happens.
I have small question directly to you, can i give you ssh acces directly to my rPI2 ? i'm beginner with rPI/linux.
Thank you

The best way to do it is:

ps -ef | grep elsinore

Then fine the java line without sudo:

Code:
elsinore@brewery:~/SBBACKUP$ ps -ef | grep elsinore
root     24185 24178  0 May06 pts/2    00:00:00 sudo /usr/bin/java -jar /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/Elsinore.jar --config /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/elsinore.cfg --baseUser elsinore
elsinore 24186 24178  0 May06 pts/2    00:00:00 tee /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/elsinore.log
root     24361 24185  3 May06 pts/2    02:30:38 /usr/bin/java -jar /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/Elsinore.jar --config /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/elsinore.cfg --baseUser elsinore

Here it's 24361

When you run kill -3 on that PID, the output should go to the elsinore.log file. Please provide that logfile.

I will not answer any direct questions, neither will I login to your pi...

The best way to do it is:

ps -ef | grep elsinore

Then fine the java line without sudo:

Code:
elsinore@brewery:~/SBBACKUP$ ps -ef | grep elsinore
root     24185 24178  0 May06 pts/2    00:00:00 sudo /usr/bin/java -jar /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/Elsinore.jar --config /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/elsinore.cfg --baseUser elsinore
elsinore 24186 24178  0 May06 pts/2    00:00:00 tee /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/elsinore.log
root     24361 24185  3 May06 pts/2    02:30:38 /usr/bin/java -jar /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/Elsinore.jar --config /home/elsinore/SBBACKUP/elsinore.cfg --baseUser elsinore

Here it's 24361

When you run kill -3 on that PID, the output should go to the elsinore.log file. Please provide that logfile.

I will not answer any direct questions, neither will I login to your pi...
Thank you Doug,
OK, here is it: http://pastebin.com/pgk6q0Zx

Thanks

I'm not sure why permissions would cause issues, or why you can't see the mash step options in the UI.

This is my lsb_release-a output:

elsinore@brewery:~/SBBACKUP$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

This is on BBB, and it's my primary development platform.

I wish I could help you more but there's nothing I can think of that would prevent the mash steps from showing up without an error.

Actually, when in edit mode, in the javascript console of the browser run:

$("#triggerTable" + vesselProbe).length

Where vesselProbe is one of the temperature probe addresses, you will need to wrap it in quotes.

If it returns 0, then it's not adding the table, if it returns anything else, rerun without the length:

$("#triggerTable" + vesselProbe)

And please provide what it gets. I suspect the class isn't being rendered for some reason.

OK here is what I got-

$("#triggerTable" + "28-0000065c31fa").length
$("#triggerTable" + "28-0000065c31fa")
[<table id=&#8203;"triggerTable28-0000065c31fa" class=&#8203;"table table-bordered col-md-8" style=&#8203;"display:&#8203; block;&#8203;">&#8203;…&#8203;</table>&#8203;]

any suggestions, does this help.

A few changes have been pushed to improve the trigger profile experience.

When a temperature trigger is started, it will set the PID to auto.
If a temperature trigger is deactivated automatically (i.e. going to the next step), the PID will remain in auto mode.
If the Trigger profile is disabled from the UI, the temperature triggers will turn off the PIDs.

A few bug fixes as well.

Back