NEW StrangeBrew Elsinore Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah! okay, I just posted a bug report to GitHub... I'll go delete it.

well, I ended up leaving my bug report on github because I was also reporting an issue with old probes which are no longer attached to the system. I tried dragging the probe box off-view to delete it, but could not.

No, I hadn't taken into account people deleting probes, I'll add a delete button when in edit mode.

Hey all -

I have two suggestions to make to us Elsinore users/thread-readers:

1) Let's start an Elsinore Hardware Implementation thread, unless it'll be so similar to other hardware threads it doesn't merit a unique one - we do have a slightly different beast than some of the other threads I've seen, using a Linux box and 1-wire, but then maybe I just haven't seen the right threads. The thread is getting a little long, however, and we're starting to see the hardware questions leak in, which muddies things IMO.

2) Let's all donate a few bucks to Doug Edey - if we find Elsinore useful, let's give some beer money. Whadayall say?

Doug, if you set up a paypal account, I'd be happy to send something your way.

Hi Doug or anyone,

I'm having some trouble getting output signals to work when they're associated with temp probes. I'm using the latest build as of today.

I created a custom jgpio file and it seems to be working fine in that I created switches (in the web gui) for each of the pins and I can verify the physical pins toggle on/off.

however, I've deleted the gui switches and have now associated their gpios with temp probes, for controlling a cooling circuit and I can't get the gpio to respond. For testing, I set the controls to "Manual", a duty-cycle of 50% and a duty time of 4 secs, such that, if I understand correctly, I'll have a toggle of the output line every 2 seconds.

I've tried multiple gpios which had previously been associated with switches and which had worked fine in that context. Also, I've been able to make gpios associated with a probe work before, in a previous build of elsinore.

I then removed the gpio from the temp probe (in the web gui) and re-assigned it to a new switch, and I was able to manually turn the i/o on and off, as before.

is there something in the background, related to the switch, which is preventing the temp probe function to operate correctly, even though the switch has been deleted from the gui?

Hey all -

I have two suggestions to make to us Elsinore users/thread-readers:

1) Let's start an Elsinore Hardware Implementation thread, unless it'll be so similar to other hardware threads it doesn't merit a unique one - we do have a slightly different beast than some of the other threads I've seen, using a Linux box and 1-wire, but then maybe I just haven't seen the right threads. The thread is getting a little long, however, and we're starting to see the hardware questions leak in, which muddies things IMO.

2) Let's all donate a few bucks to Doug Edey - if we find Elsinore useful, let's give some beer money. Whadayall say?

Doug, if you set up a paypal account, I'd be happy to send something your way.

1) I think the hardware implementation is very similar to a BrewPI, BCS, Brewtroller, or even a PID driven control panel. I'm not opposed to creating or contributing a separate thread (I'm starting my build here shortly.), the real difference is how your might interface to the GPIO Pins on the Pi/Beaglebone. Much like jangevaa, I'm using CAT5 wire and Keystone Jacks/Punch Panels to interface with my RPi2, I just happen have the stuff laying around since I'm a Network Admin.

2) If Doug sets up a Paypal Account for Donations I'd be happy to donate. I think this software is great as is & has a ton of expandability potential as well. Maybe put a link in your forum signature and on the GitHub Page. Or maybe you're in need of some hardware for your own build or for testing new functionality? Who knows, some of us might have some stuff kicking around to ship to you.

1) I think the hardware implementation is very similar to a BrewPI, BCS, Brewtroller, or even a PID driven control panel. I'm not opposed to creating or contributing a separate thread (I'm starting my build here shortly.), the real difference is how your might interface to the GPIO Pins on the Pi/Beaglebone. Much like jangevaa, I'm using CAT5 wire and Keystone Jacks/Punch Panels to interface with my RPi2, I just happen have the stuff laying around since I'm a Network Admin.

2) If Doug sets up a Paypal Account for Donations I'd be happy to donate. I think this software is great as is & has a ton of expandability potential as well. Maybe put a link in your forum signature and on the GitHub Page. Or maybe you're in need of some hardware for your own build or for testing new functionality? Who knows, some of us might have some stuff kicking around to ship to you.

If no one does it by the time i get around to building mine in the next month or two i plan to do a HOWTO build for my Elsinore like i have for the BrewPi because there isnt really any circuit diagrams or parts lists short of what Jange's blog lists, but turning what he posted into an actual end product i think a lot(most) people need more guidance. Im just in the middle of moving out of my house and waiting to move into my new house so no time for big projects.

While the circuit is similar, there is a lot more safety you need to be concerned about for 240V, and things like wire/connector selection/etc make a much big difference when your dealing with 20+ Amps..

A BrewPi is easy because no fridge is going to pull over 10A really and if it does its only for a microsecond as it switches on. On the other hand this is running 20A+ when your Duty cycle is 100% bringing water up to a boil or mash temp for tens of minutes puts a lot more stress on the components and requires building things properly or you can burn your house down.

Hi Doug or anyone,

I'm having some trouble getting output signals to work when they're associated with temp probes. I'm using the latest build as of today.

I created a custom jgpio file and it seems to be working fine in that I created switches (in the web gui) for each of the pins and I can verify the physical pins toggle on/off.

however, I've deleted the gui switches and have now associated their gpios with temp probes, for controlling a cooling circuit and I can't get the gpio to respond. For testing, I set the controls to "Manual", a duty-cycle of 50% and a duty time of 4 secs, such that, if I understand correctly, I'll have a toggle of the output line every 2 seconds.

I've tried multiple gpios which had previously been associated with switches and which had worked fine in that context. Also, I've been able to make gpios associated with a probe work before, in a previous build of elsinore.

I then removed the gpio from the temp probe (in the web gui) and re-assigned it to a new switch, and I was able to manually turn the i/o on and off, as before.

is there something in the background, related to the switch, which is preventing the temp probe function to operate correctly, even though the switch has been deleted from the gui?

Do you have any errors in the Elsinore console log?

Fixed editing of temp/PID probes after yesterdays changes
PIDs/Temps can now be deleted when dragging by dragging them until they change to "Delete"

Hello.

It is possible these two implementations?

1 - trigger for a alarm with this Active Buzzer Module:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...&_nkw=active+buzzer+module+raspberry&_sacat=0

Just add it as a switched output, and you can set it with a trigger.

2 - implement a button to shut down Elsinore and Power off raspberry Pi.

Greetings.

I can add a shutdown Elsinore button, but I don't like the idea of shutting down the RPi at the same time, I'll think about it and maybe have it as an optional extra

Just add it as a switched output, and you can set it with a trigger.

For buzz sound I need a script same this:

Code:
import time
from RPi import GPIO

PIN = 23

BUZZER_REPETITIONS = 300
BUZZER_DELAY = 0.0005

PAUSE_TIME = 1.0

GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)
GPIO.setup(PIN, GPIO.OUT)

while True:
    for _ in xrange(BUZZER_REPETITIONS):
        for value in [True, False]:
            GPIO.output(PIN, value)
            time.sleep(BUZZER_DELAY)
    time.sleep(PAUSE_TIME)

Probably this need a global timer (input alarm time).
Trigger is good for end steps alarm, and end mash alarm.

I can add a shutdown Elsinore button, but I don't like the idea of shutting down the RPi at the same time, I'll think about it and maybe have it as an optional extra

Poweroff button it's good because it saves having to go to the command line to shut down.
Power on rpi and start elsinore automatic, later brew time, and finally push button and poweroff system.

How bad is just pulling power? I've had no issues. As long as you use ext4 (journaling) fs, my understanding is you don't have too much to worry about. I run my controller headless on a pi and just yank power at the end of brew day. I haven't had any really big issues.

(OG rpi, overvolted, overclocked, ext4 thumb drive rasbian install, Wi-Fi dongle, no usb hub, custom power supply to maintain 5.2v across tp1/2)

There are now two buttons when in edit mode. "Shutdown" and "Shutdown System".

"Shutdown" will just stop Elsinore, "Shutdown System" will shutdown the full system.

I've also modified the alert boxes to use sweet-alert which is much nicer.

Hi, everyone. Just started building my brew controller with RPI B+, and was wondering if anyone has used a BrewPi Rev C board for connecting temp probs and SSR's? I cant get the schematics on the original website anymore. I would like to use it instead of a bread board as it already has 4k resistor and connectors for the temp probes plus some LEDs and connectors for the SSRs.

The reason for wanting to use it is because i have one sitting in my cupboard gathering dust. Just thought of putting it to good use if possible. Unless anyone can recommend another cheap and easy alternative.
Thanks

Hi, everyone. Just started building my brew controller with RPI B+, and was wondering if anyone has used a BrewPi Rev C board for connecting temp probs and SSR's? I cant get the schematics on the original website anymore. I would like to use it instead of a bread board as it already has 4k resistor and connectors for the temp probes plus some LEDs and connectors for the SSRs.

this is what I was talking about... another case for the new, hardware-centric Elsinore thread (still to be created). Doug, do we have your go-ahead? Or am I solving problems that don't exist?

The reason for wanting to use it is because i have one sitting in my cupboard gathering dust. Just thought of putting it to good use if possible. Unless anyone can recommend another cheap and easy alternative.
Thanks

I have no idea what the BrewPi uses for temperature probes, or what it has as outputs. Sorry, I can't advise you on this safetely.

this is what I was talking about... another case for the new, hardware-centric Elsinore thread (still to be created). Doug, do we have your go-ahead? Or am I solving problems that don't exist?

No, you're right, there should be another place to do some of the more specific questions. There is www.reddit.com/r/StrangeBrew/ which may be easier.

Sorry if I'm crashing this thread, didn't know where else to post. Noticed "FuzzeWuzze" mentions using brewpi, just wondered if others where too, and if anyone had a schematic drawing of the board.

No, you're right, there should be another place to do some of the more specific questions. There is www.reddit.com/r/StrangeBrew/ which may be easier.

okay, well I don't understand reddit as a service so I can't help there. Call me an idiot, I just don't understand what reddit is all about. My thought was to start a new thread here on HBT to address questions related to hardware Elsinore implementations. It's annoying for those of us focused on software questions to be interrupted by h/w system stuff... we might like to delve into both (myself included), but it would be best to have those subjects separated. As an example, we might be cruising along on possible software feature upgrades when suddenly someone comes along with "how do I install this on rev X of my RPI X board and how do my analog sensors work with Elsinore?" questions... that should be a separate thread, yes?

We should be focused on software functions and debugging on this thread, if I understand properly, not on all the multitudes of physical implementations. Yes? Tell me to clam and I will.

Trying to help, will shut up on command....

Trying to help, will shut up on command....

No need to shut up, I just don't understand why you're asking me for permission, I don't rule what threads you make (I don't think i do at least?) The point is that this is an organic product and you as users can do what you want, one guy is even making money from it.

No need to shut up, I just don't understand why you're asking me for permission, I don't rule what threads you make (I don't think i do at least?) The point is that this is an organic product and you as users can do what you want, one guy is even making money from it.

Speaking of money, I still think you should put up a donation link in your signature. :mug:

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread... What is the best setting for the boil kettle? Auto or manual. If set to auto I assume I would set it to 212 but I'm confused on what the Duty time and PID settings should be. And since we are on the subject what about the HLT or atleast a good starting point. Thanks of the awesome software!

I'm on my phone so grabbing the link is tricky at the moment, but there are some good PID tuning write-ups. Alternatively, just experiment. If you're in the US, set your duty time to 1.7 sec. That won't change. Then start with a P of 40 and leave I & D at 0. Set the temp to 213 or 214 and see if it lands you at a rolling boil.

edit: Adding link. Thanks Justin. Love the site!

http://onbrewing.com/strangebrew-elsinore-faqbrewery-calibration-pid-setting-specification/

edit2: The 1.7s is complicated to explain and/or understand if you're not REALLY into math, but it's THE lowest you want to go (with 60-Hz US AC power) without getting aliasing according to the Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem. If you live in a country where the AC voltage is at 50 Hz, the lowest you want to go is 2 sec. Anything higher than those values is high. The lower the number is, the more fidelity and control in switching SB Elisinore has, with higher numbers, you decrease the amount of time your SSR is switching. I've been running mine for years with no issue at 1.7. HMMV.

-Josh

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread... What is the best setting for the boil kettle? Auto or manual. If set to auto I assume I would set it to 212 but I'm confused on what the Duty time and PID settings should be. And since we are on the subject what about the HLT or atleast a good starting point. Thanks of the awesome software!

Here is what I do on my current Auber PID based setup, it seems to work very well for me. I brew BIAB so after my mash at 152 or whatever temp, I ramp u to mash-out 168 using the "Auto" setting in Elsinore would be the equivalent. After mash-out I ramp up to 204 using "Auto", this way I almost hit a boil but I can walk around and do other things like measure out my hops, grab a beer, etc... ...and I don't have to babysit the kettle. Once I notice my kettle is at my set temp I then switch over to "Manual" and set it for 100%. Think of the percentage like a dial on a gas regulator. You use this to control the intensity of your boil. You can dial this back to get the intensity back to what you want, I typically dial back to 85% and get a hard rolling boil with a 5500W element having 15gal of wort in my kettle.

I hope that helps a little.

Why not just use auto to maintain the boil? We haven't had a boilover since switching to SBE and using auto.

Why not just use auto to maintain the boil? We haven't had a boilover since switching to SBE and using auto.

I like to control the intensity of my boil, if auto works well for you then I certainly wouldn't change. I just figured I'd outline my process in the hopes that it might help.

After I'm done mashing, I set the boil kettle to manual, 100% and a 2 second cycle. Once it's boiling, I dial it back to 65%.

yeah, but I figure it's just polite to ask the OP what they think before I go making related threads.

Dear Doug / all

is anyone else having problems when trying to set up a pid for cooling?

when all my pids are set for heating all works perfectly. currently i have hlt mlt and fridge as the names of my three pids and one pump switch. ive been doing a few test runs on my brewing rig this week and it is superb in brewing / heating setup. i decided last night to start running a test run on my combined fermentation chamber / kegerator. so i set one of my pids (Fridge) to cooling which i planned to use in hysteria mode

first problem - i set the gpio settings (inverted) to GPIO22 and hit update all seems ok but when i switch hysteria mode on nothing happens. see getstaus below

second problem - i thought i would try restarting elsinore after i have changed my gpio from heating to cooling to reload the config file. when i do this the pid buttons have disappeared on restarting even though the gpio settings are still there when i look in edit screen ? i then hit update again the pid buttons reappear but the hyteria mode still doesnt work?

if i change back all pids to heating and restart everything works great and my relays happilly click away!

i hope the description of my problem is ok

cheers

mike

here is get staus with all 3 pids running in hysteria mode - heating

{"switches":{"Pump":false},"language":"en_GB","locked":true,"triggers":{},"message":"","breweryName":null,"vessels":[{"deviceaddr":"28-0314631724ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429260850328,"temp":17.625,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"pidstatus":{"mode":"hysteria","heat":{"p":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":true,"cycle":0,"gpio":"GPIO24"},"setpoint":0,"min":21,"max":23,"cool":{"p":0,"delay":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":false,"cycle":0,"gpio":""},"manualduty":0,"manualtime":0,"duty":100,"time":1,"status":"heating"},"name":"HLT"},{"deviceaddr":"28-0314631814ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429260850128,"temp":17.50,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"pidstatus":{"mode":"hysteria","heat":{"p":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":true,"cycle":0,"gpio":"GPIO23"},"setpoint":2,"min":27,"max":28,"cool":{"p":0,"delay":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":false,"cycle":0,"gpio":""},"manualduty":50,"manualtime":2,"duty":100,"time":1,"status":"heating"},"name":"MLT"},{"deviceaddr":"28-0314634124ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429260849948,"temp":17.125,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"pidstatus":{"mode":"hysteria","heat":{"p":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":true,"cycle":0,"gpio":"GPIO22"},"setpoint":0,"min":24,"max":26,"cool":{"p":0,"delay":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":false,"cycle":0,"gpio":""},"manualduty":0,"manualtime":0,"duty":100,"time":1,"status":"heating"},"name":"Fridge"},{"deviceaddr":"28-0314634439ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429260849758,"temp":17.437,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"name":"28-0314634439ff"},{"deviceaddr":"28-03146374b1ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429260850028,"temp":17.562,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"name":"28-03146374b1ff"}],"notifications":[]}

here is the getstatus with hlt heating in hysteria, mlt off and fridge in cooling mode hysteria but not actually cooling or triggering the relay

{"switches":{"Pump":false},"language":"en_GB","locked":false,"triggers":{},"message":"","breweryName":null,"vessels":[{"deviceaddr":"28-0314631724ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429261312088,"temp":17.562,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"pidstatus":{"mode":"hysteria","heat":{"p":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":true,"cycle":0,"gpio":"GPIO24"},"setpoint":0,"min":21,"max":23,"cool":{"p":0,"delay":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":false,"cycle":0,"gpio":""},"manualduty":0,"manualtime":0,"duty":100,"time":1,"status":"heating"},"name":"HLT"},{"deviceaddr":"28-0314631814ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429261311958,"temp":17.50,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"pidstatus":{"mode":"off","heat":{"p":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":true,"cycle":0,"gpio":"GPIO23"},"setpoint":2,"min":27,"max":28,"cool":{"p":0,"delay":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":false,"cycle":0,"gpio":""},"manualduty":50,"manualtime":2,"duty":0,"time":1,"status":"off"},"name":"MLT"},{"deviceaddr":"28-0314634124ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429261312388,"temp":17.125,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"pidstatus":{"mode":"hysteria","heat":{"p":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":false,"cycle":0,"gpio":""},"setpoint":0,"min":5,"max":7,"cool":{"p":0,"delay":0,"d":0,"i":0,"inverted":true,"cycle":0,"gpio":"GPIO22"},"manualduty":0,"manualtime":0,"duty":0,"time":1,"status":"off"},"name":"Fridge"},{"deviceaddr":"28-0314634439ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429261312352,"temp":17.437,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"name":"28-0314634439ff"},{"deviceaddr":"28-03146374b1ff","tempprobe":{"elapsed":1429261312668,"temp":17.50,"hidden":false,"gravity":1,"scale":"C","cutoff":"-999","position":-1,"calibration":"0C"},"name":"28-03146374b1ff"}],"notifications":[]}

im thinking looking at the get status output that when i try and set a cooling pid the web browser is not updating elsinore config file porperly ? or not communicating properly with elsinore as the duty is still showing 0 when it should be 100 ? but also the output on the web ui also shows 0 so maybe the command is not getting passed to elsinore when the cooling pid id set ? ive tried firefox chrome and ie with no luck. but to be honest ive learnt loads in the last few months playing with the pi but im still clueless !!

mike

I haven't tried setting up cooling for a fridge yet but when I do I'll test it out and let you know.

Speaking of money, I still think you should put up a donation link in your signature. :mug:

Some people just wont take any credit :)

Ive all but begged Elco to give me a paypal link so i can add it to my DIY BrewPi thread but never get a response :(

Quick question about ADC for volume measurement.

I've read the following guide:
http://dougedey.github.io/2014/12/20/Volume_Setup/

Is the setup limited to the DS2450 ADC? A more readily available ADC in my neck of the woods is the MCP3008:
https://learn.adafruit.com/reading-a-analog-in-and-controlling-audio-volume-with-the-raspberry-pi

Accepts both supply and analog voltage of up to 5.5V. Major difference as I see it is that the MCP3008 is 10bit as opposed to 8bit, which could affect how SB reads the values?

Last edited:
im thinking looking at the get status output that when i try and set a cooling pid the web browser is not updating elsinore config file porperly ? or not communicating properly with elsinore as the duty is still showing 0 when it should be 100 ? but also the output on the web ui also shows 0 so maybe the command is not getting passed to elsinore when the cooling pid id set ? ive tried firefox chrome and ie with no luck. but to be honest ive learnt loads in the last few months playing with the pi but im still clueless !!

mike

What are you trying to set the cooling GPIO to? Are there any error messages on the elsinore logs on the server?

Some people just wont take any credit :)

Ive all but begged Elco to give me a paypal link so i can add it to my DIY BrewPi thread but never get a response :(

The issue is when someone pays money they start demanding service and support even though no support contract has been decided. I have updated my signature with my paypal address so people can send me donations, but to have a donation link requires a business account which I do not want to pay for or manage.

The issue is when someone pays money they start demanding service and support even though no support contract has been decided. I have updated my signature with my paypal address so people can send me donations, but to have a donation link requires a business account which I do not want to pay for or manage.

I can relate to that. I think that some of us would just like to send a little thanks to you for creating something that is fun for us to tinker with.

Hi doug

i am using gpio22 for a pid which is currently called fridge

in hysteria heating mode with output inverted it works with no problems

when i try and change from heating mode to cooling i get the following on the server screen and cooling doesnt work

Apr 18, 2015 9:45:43 PM com.sb.elsinore.UrlEndpoints editVessel
WARNING: Updated temp name Fridge
Could not find definitions file at: extras/gpio_definitions_lookup.xml
No definitions file found, assuming direct mapping
WARNING: Create PID

any help ?

Cheers

mike

Hi doug

i am using gpio22 for a pid which is currently called fridge

in hysteria heating mode with output inverted it works with no problems

when i try and change from heating mode to cooling i get the following on the server screen and cooling doesnt work

WARNING: Updated temp name Fridge
Could not find definitions file at: extras/gpio_definitions_lookup.xml
No definitions file found, assuming direct mapping
WARNING: Create PID

any help ?

Cheers

mike
Is your cooling GPIO GPIO22?

Latest posts

Back