NEW StrangeBrew Elsinore Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple more improvements:

1) If you use launch.sh as your normal user, it will automatically change the file ownership of new files to the original user. You can do this using "--realUser <username>" as well

2) The default brewery logo is now the StrangeBrew Logo.

3) You can now change the name of a device with a space in the name (bugfix)

Remember: If you see something that isn't right, or isn't easy to use, PLEASE let me know. I want to make this easy to use.

Ok I found the forum where everyone is hanging out at now, so I guess I will bump and try to learn how to to this thing even though I am a noob at programing language. I will read through the whole thread and see if it all makes sense to me

Ok I found the forum where everyone is hanging out at now, so I guess I will bump and try to learn how to to this thing even though I am a noob at programing language. I will read through the whole thread and see if it all makes sense to me

You should need to know anything about programming languages, all the setup is done from the web interface, aside from some basic module probing for RasperryPi and a setup script for BeagleBone (or any new Linux Kernel), check the documentation on the Github page: http://dougedey.github.io/2014/05/14/New-Elsinore_Setup/

I made a brewery image to use with this that I thought I'd share. Use as you please!

128x128 gif...
tStTVup.gif

fullsize link

That's fantastic Jangevaa, I wonder if it would look as good if the dog was coming out of the pot with the raspberry in front of it (since that kettle looks tiny;) )

That's sick Doug - a dog in a pot? The animal rights people will be after me when they see these.

Alright, added the option to allow you to chose which logos you want to use.

From launch.sh use "-l <name>"
From the jar use "--theme <name>"

As long as you have two images, in the "logos" directory <name>.gif (brewery logo) and <name>.ico (favicon) it'll give you them in the UI.

I've got code to allow it to be changed from the Web UI, but I'll look at that next.

By default it's the existing images I setup.

There's also:

*bbrpi_w_kettle (the first images jangevaa provided)
*bbrpi_in_kettle (the second images jangevaa provided)

Alright, added the option to allow you to chose which logos you want to use.

From launch.sh use "-l <name>"
From the jar use "--theme <name>"

As long as you have two images, in the "logos" directory <name>.gif (brewery logo) and <name>.ico (favicon) it'll give you them in the UI.

I've got code to allow it to be changed from the Web UI, but I'll look at that next.

By default it's the existing images I setup.

There's also:

*bbrpi_w_kettle (the first images jangevaa provided)
*bbrpi_in_kettle (the second images jangevaa provided)

Cool! Didn't expect you to do that. Noticed in the git repository that you use the full-size png for dog w/ kettle and the small gif for dog in kettle. If resizing is dealt with in your code or and you want the full-size of the other logo, the small gif in my last post links to it. Alternatively, if you meant to use 128x128px logos in both cases, here's a heads up.

Haven't updated yet as my rig is on the surgery table in the garage, but nice idea with the favicons!

Is there an equipment/hardware list for this?

I was looking at taking theelectricbrewery and seeing if I could make it work with a rPi I have, but it seems this does almost that exact thing.

I can get the code installed without a problem, but the hardware/equipment needed is where I'm lost at the moment.

Thanks.

Is there an equipment/hardware list for this?

I was looking at taking theelectricbrewery and seeing if I could make it work with a rPi I have, but it seems this does almost that exact thing.

I can get the code installed without a problem, but the hardware/equipment needed is where I'm lost at the moment.

Thanks.

There are more similarities than differences with theelectricbrewery when putting together a control panel based on SB Elsinore for safety reasons when dealing with this kind of power. Read theelectricbrewery first. Understand it. By basing your control panel on SB elsinore you eliminate your need for PIDs (temperatures controlled with software), reduce your need for switches (pumps controlled in the software, SSRs or relays are required for these however). You don't need indicator lights, but not a bad idea. You should still have manually controlled relays for the hot legs (main power and for each element anyways) for safety reasons. Fuses or breakers should be used when appropriate (changing wire gauge/component rating). A GFI breaker should be used to power the brewery. Everything should be properly grounded. Note that this software is designed for one wire temperature probes (DS18B20 most commonly). The electric brewery is based using PT100/1000s.

I am almost done my control panel based on using SB Elsinore (see a couple posts up for a progress picture). In a couple days I will put up my final parts list and pictures. Probably in a separate thread to hopefully bring additional attention to Doug's fantastic project.

Thanks for the reminder mcangeli, I have just put up a basic list: http://dougedey.github.io/2014/08/14/Components/

It does direct you to adafruit and the electric brewery since they have brilliant guides and as Jangevaa says, Elsinore replaces the PIDs (and provides you with a web interface), as well as allowing you to use SSRs/Relays to control pumps and other units.

Could the temp probes from TEB work?

I like that I can either add them directly to my boil kettle or via a T connector and they look a little more heavy duty.

Could the temp probes from TEB work?

I like that I can either add them directly to my boil kettle or via a T connector and they look a little more heavy duty.

TEB = theelectricbrewery?

You can get 1/2" npt thermowells to create your own durable ds18b20 digital sensors from brewers hardware... But the pt100s from auber that are recommended on theelectricbrewery are not compatible with this software. Those are analog temp sensors.

The Electric Brewery Probes do NOT work, since they are resistance based (and expensive), I use Ds18B20 Tank Sensors

They have worked well for me for over two years. And they're cheaper.

Thanks to jangevaa for being (thus far) the first person to use Safari, I've found that Safari doesn't do things like other browsers, so I've refactored to use a thirdparty (moment.js) library which appears to work now on Safari.

I've also added a button (double click) to lock or edit the page. If you lock the page it'll remove any empty sections (like the pumps) and remove extra buttons and the ability to edit the devices. Or show them.

I've also updated the README.md so the github repo shows updated information for the web UI setup.

You can now enable/disable the System temperature on the Web UI, when you're in Edit mode, you'll see the "System" header if it's not enabled. Double click to enable, when it's enabled, double click to disable.

If it's not enabled, you won't see it when the page is locked down.

Also: A few more UI touches have been done.

Including: Setting the cutoff temperature for any of the temperature probes from the WebUI (and storing it).

Can someone provide an overview of how to setup the step mashes? I've been playing with it in the UI and am a bit lost.

When you're in edit mode, click the green "Add" on the PID you want to add a mash step to.

The big box with "temp" is the target temperature.
The "scale" box is set by default to the system temperature unit (default F)
The "method"/"type" boxes aren't required, but they're there for StrangeBrew Java to upload mash steps for, and for when I add in the "Save Brewlog" button.
The "duration" box is how long to hold the temperature for.

Then press the gray "Add" button to add the mash step, or cancel to abort it.

When you've added the mash steps, you can click and drag them to reorder them.

Then when you're happy, hit the "Activate" button to enable the mash profile, you'll need to enable Auto Mode on the PID (I'll add a warning for this if it's not set to auto). This is for safety reasons.

Thank Doug. I got it to work. I found that I had to the step addition gui between adding the steps so that I could see what was showing up. For some reason to it was adding steps a 0f for 0min. I ended up deleting that step altogether.

I'm testing it now.. not really using it has it for what it's designed to do - I've set it to be at 60f (lower than ambient) for the next 450 minutes then start heating up to my strike temp.. hopefully when I wake up in the morning it'll be ready to start mashing in.

Thank Doug. I got it to work. I found that I had to the step addition gui between adding the steps so that I could see what was showing up. For some reason to it was adding steps a 0f for 0min. I ended up deleting that step altogether.

You had to do what to the step addition GUI?

Hmm, I can add some error detection for this, but I mainly added this in for fermentation control.

I'm testing it now.. not really using it has it for what it's designed to do - I've set it to be at 60f (lower than ambient) for the next 450 minutes then start heating up to my strike temp.. hopefully when I wake up in the morning it'll be ready to start mashing in.

Make sure you test it first (say, make it hold for ten minutes, check it turns on, then disable the mash step and relax a bit).

I have to say I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH THIS USAGE.

You should NOT be allowing setting any heating system to work unattended, especially with electricity. I've seen SSRs literally ignite. SO USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

(Sorry for the caps, I have to ensure you're not going to try to sue the s**t out of me)

You had to do what to the step addition GUI?
I have to say I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH THIS USAGE.

You should NOT be allowing setting any heating system to work unattended, especially with electricity. I've seen SSRs literally ignite. SO USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

(Sorry for the caps, I have to ensure you're not going to try to sue the s**t out of me)

Ok, I'll take your advice and not do this..

Sorry, I am confident that the software will work, it's just I don't think it's worth the risk of your life if something goes wrong.

Hello.
Congratulations on your hard work.
I'm trying Elsinore and I need some help:

-How I can put the temperature in Celsius degrees?
-How I can invert outputs to use with a relay board instead of ssr for testing?

I see: "You'll need to add -Dinverted_outputs", for exchange output signals and I see: "[general] scale = C", but elsinore.cfg now is in xml, and I don't understand this.

How I can set these options?

Thanks.

-How I can put the temperature in Celsius degrees?
This is now added to the "Edit" mode of the web UI, double clicking the "Change Scale" when you're in edit mode, will switch from F to C or C to F, and save it.

-How I can invert outputs to use with a relay board instead of ssr for testing?

This is added to launch.sh, using "-i" will invert the outputs.

Just run:

git pull

To update.

This is now added to the "Edit" mode of the web UI, double clicking the "Change Scale" when you're in edit mode, will switch from F to C or C to F, and save it.

This is added to launch.sh, using "-i" will invert the outputs.

Just run:

git pull

To update.

Hello. Thanks for the changes.

Now changing degrees C to F works perfectly and the temperature is shown in C once configured.

Inverting outputs seems to work fine, but I could not fully test it, because there is a failure to execute the pid, both manual and auto ..

I had to make a small change in launch.sh, because there were a couple of lines erroneously interchanged to make it work:

Code:
         i)
             JAVA_OPTS="$JAVAOPTS -Dinvert_outputs"
             ;;
         ?)
             usage
             exit
             ;;

Then to set the pid, and putting temperature and time, pressing add is added but with error: degrees is in F. If add other step, same error.

Then try to start it and press the manual or auto, does not work. It unfolds like lightning, and returns to its original position, without turning.

I mean that is always "off" in red and I can not use or "auto" or "manual" and "hysteria".

I try with IE, crhome, and firefox.
I send log to your github gmail account.

Finally, what is the -999 that appears to edit the pid?

Greetings

Sick.
I hope this takes off...

Oh, I also visited the club ...
:mug:
:tank:

Inverting outputs seems to work fine, but I could not fully test it, because there is a failure to execute the pid, both manual and auto ..

I had to make a small change in launch.sh, because there were a couple of lines erroneously interchanged to make it work:

Thanks, fixed and pushed.

Then to set the pid, and putting temperature and time, pressing add is added but with error: degrees is in F. If add other step, same error.

This is also fixed, and pushed.

Then try to start it and press the manual or auto, does not work. It unfolds like lightning, and returns to its original position, without turning.

I mean that is always "off" in red and I can not use or "auto" or "manual" and "hysteria".

I try with IE, crhome, and firefox.
I send log to your github gmail account.

Not sure what's going on here, it's a bug in the WebUI though that'll be causing it, you'll need to open the browser console (normally ctrl+shift+i) to see any errors.

Finally, what is the -999 that appears to edit the pid?

If you delete the text content it'll show "Cutoff temp", this is used as a safety, I have a temperature probe on my SSR heatsinks and when it goes over 160F the system shuts down, it can be used on any temperature probe.

Btw, if you want to do any language conversions, I'm working on language files at the moment.

Ok. This night I look browser console.

Don't problem, I make spanish translation. Say me when is ok.

Back