NEW StrangeBrew Elsinore Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made changes to dragging to reorder the trigger steps, give it a try, it should be much, MUCH nicer then before. To delete a trigger you just need to drag it off the trigger list.

Oops, I didn't actually push the change this morning, the Beta branch now has the correct information.

Improvements have been made to the beerXML uploading, the page reloads to show all the buttons when a recipe is uploaded. I've also improved the hop addition messages & notifications.

Bumped up the jGPIO version so that jangeevas issue should be gone (the disable dmi didn't appear to cause any issue, but it helps when the drivers aren't aligned properly)

Also made some UI improvements, deleted old code, and finished the trigger re-ordering (to make it clear when a step is going to be deleted.

Tonight I'll be adding the improved drag and drop UI to the rest of the UI.

If no-one has any issues, I'll merge beta to master next week (this gives people the weekend to run a full brew day)

Everything has now been converted to the new sortable orders (that show where the object will be). I've fixed up a load of backend stuff and I think it's done now.

If anyone finds any issues, please let me know asap.

Few bug fixes to the Status Recorder/graphing were done this morning, I've also added a "Delete Data" button to the main graph page to clear out all the data (and restart the recorder) to help with space.

I am in the process of deciding how I am going to build my brewery, Thank you for all of your effort, this is an awesome piece of work. I was reading about the OWServer and its advantage if one were to use the DS2450. It would allow for multiple temperature probes to be read simultaneously.

Since it is no longer available, how important is it?

If it is important, what are people using for a replacement?

I don't even know the cost of the chip?

I am in the process of deciding how I am going to build my brewery, Thank you for all of your effort, this is an awesome piece of work. I was reading about the OWServer and its advantage if one were to use the DS2450. It would allow for multiple temperature probes to be read simultaneously.

Since it is no longer available, how important is it?

If it is important, what are people using for a replacement?

I don't even know the cost of the chip?

You likely don't need that chip. Multiple digital ds18b20 temperature probes can be read simultaneously (up to 10 on a on a single pin). Buy those. They're very cheap. (If you go back a couple messages you will see me running 6 temperature probes simultaneously off of a single pin). An ADC like the DS2450 is used when converting an analog sensor of some sort to a digital signal (e.g. a load cell, resistance based temperature sensor, etc.)

I'll add that the beaglebone black has built in ADCs, you would likely only go to this chip if you had an older version of raspberry pi and wanted to use the volume measurement features.

By simultaneously, do you mean consecutively? It seems the one wire protocol would get the signals mixed up if you tried to run two at a time?

Thanks, that is kind of what I thought. That is a long time for a PID loop, good thing temperature loops are slow reacting. I wasn't sure if the DS2450 would allow you to poll all the temperature probes simultaneously rather than serially.

I have read the one wire spec, I have used these devices in an arduino like environment many times. I have never been able to read them simultaneously and when I read this, I thought it might give that capability.

I have read the one wire spec, I have used these devices in an arduino like environment many times. I have never been able to read them simultaneously and when I read this, I thought it might give that capability.

It works. They have their own 64bit address, and many can be "chained together" and read simultaneously off of a single pin.

By "simultaneously", what do you mean?

Linux supports one wire devices in the /bus directories and allows you to read a w1_slave file for each probe on the bus.

Elsinore works by polling each temperature probes file for information and OWFS/kernel drivers poll the specific device your looking for information on.

If you have w1 setup in parasitic mode, you will have significant CRC errors.

jangevaa,

1-Wire allows for > 100 of devices on a single bus and OWFS has been tested with over 100 devices.

I'm curious why you say it supports "up to 10 on a single pin".

I think this is more of a limit of Elsinore on a RPi or BBB, since it creates a new thread for every temperature probe (this allows the probes to manage errors directly, rather than forcing the master controller thread to do it all). RPi 2 should make this less of an issue.

By "simultaneously", what do you mean?

Linux supports one wire devices in the /bus directories and allows you to read a w1_slave file for each probe on the bus.

Elsinore works by polling each temperature probes file for information and OWFS/kernel drivers poll the specific device your looking for information on.

If you have w1 setup in parasitic mode, you will have significant CRC errors.

I am going to install the OWServer this weekend. I think I understand how it works. The OWServer takes care of rotating through the device on the network and updating the temperature for each device. Then the client can read whatever device it wants, knowing it will get the latest value that the OWServer has for the specific device.

Is anyone else having this issue? I can always run Elsinore from a fresh install without problems, but as soon as I reboot the RaspPi, it won't start up again and gives me the following messages. In reading it, I can't really tell what the problem is. My only solution so far has been to remove Elsinore and get a new clone from GitHub each time I want to use it, but that is not practical.

./launch.sh
Starting Elsinore as pi
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl main
INFO: Running Brewery Controller.
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl readConfig
INFO: CFG IS NULL
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl parseXMLSections
INFO: Checking section pumps
INFO: Checking section phSensors
INFO: Checking section general
INFO: Checking section device
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl parseDevice
INFO: Parsing XML Device: 28-0000065cef3c
INFO: Not enough volume data points, 0 found
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl startDevice
INFO: No Probe specified for 28-0000065cef3c
Problems parsing device 28-0000065cef3c
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl$1 run
WARNING: Shutting down. Saving configuration​

Is anyone else having this issue? I can always run Elsinore from a fresh install without problems, but as soon as I reboot the RaspPi, it won't start up again and gives me the following messages. In reading it, I can't really tell what the problem is. My only solution so far has been to remove Elsinore and get a new clone from GitHub each time I want to use it, but that is not practical.

./launch.sh
Starting Elsinore as pi
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl main
INFO: Running Brewery Controller.
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl readConfig
INFO: CFG IS NULL
INFO: Checking section pumps
INFO: Checking section phSensors
INFO: Checking section general
INFO: Checking section device
INFO: Parsing XML Device: 28-0000065cef3c
INFO: Not enough volume data points, 0 found
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl startDevice
INFO: No Probe specified for 28-0000065cef3c
Problems parsing device 28-0000065cef3c
Mar 05, 2015 9:36:37 PM com.sb.elsinore.LaunchControl$1 run
WARNING: Shutting down. Saving configuration​

It says it's having an issue parsing the configuration, please can you provide your configuration file?

It says it's having an issue parsing the configuration, please can you provide your configuration file?

I assume you don't mean the config.txt file in /boot/? I can't find an elsinore.cfg file anywhere in the SB_Elsinore_Server directory, or any others for that matter. Can you point me to the location it might be on a Raspberry Pi?

I assume you don't mean the config.txt file in /boot/? I can't find an elsinore.cfg file anywhere in the SB_Elsinore_Server directory, or any others for that matter. Can you point me to the location it might be on a Raspberry Pi?

Once you've started up and shutdown, there should be an elsinore.cfg file produced, that's what I need. If there's no file there, there's nothing for it to read, and there's no way you're getting that error.

Once you've started up and shutdown, there should be an elsinore.cfg file produced, that's what I need. If there's no file there, there's nothing for it to read, and there's no way you're getting that error.

Okay, I see. I had just recloned and hadn't shut down yet, so it didn't exist.

I had been using the "elsinore.ubuntu" script, but when I was looking for the elsinore.cfg file, found that you'd uploaded a debian version. Enabling that script instead seems to have solved the issue, likely because it's handling shutdowns properly now.

If I have the issue again, I'll post the config file. Thanks!

Okay, I see. I had just recloned and hadn't shut down yet, so it didn't exist.

I had been using the "elsinore.ubuntu" script, but when I was looking for the elsinore.cfg file, found that you'd uploaded a debian version. Enabling that script instead seems to have solved the issue, likely because it's handling shutdowns properly now.

If I have the issue again, I'll post the config file. Thanks!

It sounds like you have it figured out but as an FYI, if `launch.sh` is throwing errors, the service script will not pass them on to you when you start the service. It should only be used if `sudo ./launch.sh` is working properly first. Additionally, the messages the elsinore.debian script does return are not formal checks in most cases but more of an indication of which step in the start or stop service procedure your system is processing.

Last edited:
Hey Doug,

Tried out the new beta yesterday during a brew and the only issue I found was the timer wouldn't work saying '...couldn't reset timer... ' or something to that description.

Cheers!

Hey Doug,

Tried out the new beta yesterday during a brew and the only issue I found was the timer wouldn't work saying '...couldn't reset timer... ' or something to that description.

Cheers!

Fix pushed.

Beta has been updated. I believe I've fixed the IBU Calculations for the BeerXML uploads. Let me know if there's a huge discrepancy.

Thanks Doug!

I mocked this up almost a year ago and finally have got the rest of the system setup (built a room in basement, etc.) and SB Elsinore has come such a long way.

Thank you for all your work, I look forward to putting this system to good use!

Cheers!
Dan

Hello,

I am just getting a Hosehead with Strange Brew setup and have a general question about mash profiles. Sorry if this has been answered before.

Is there a way to save and recall mash profiles? I am connected directly to the Hosehead unit with keyboard mouse and monitor. Not sure what the Pi has in terms of saving capability.

Thanks for the software and your help.

Is there a way to save and recall mash profiles? I am connected directly to the Hosehead unit with keyboard mouse and monitor. Not sure what the Pi has in terms of saving capability.

You can load from a beerXML file, but you cannot save profiles directly on Elsinore.

Hello Doug. Thank you for the software and your reply. I have been researching beerXML but have to admit I am still unclear how this would work.

I use Beersmith. Is this a way to generate beerXML documents? If so, could you be so kind to tell me how to turn this into a working mash profile inside strangebrew? I am also a bit new to the Pi operating system and do not know if it functions like Windows etc...

Sorry, kind of green here but just want a way to have two or three different mash schedules I can call up instead of typing them in each brew day.

Thank you.

Hello Doug. Thank you for the software and your reply. I have been researching beerXML but have to admit I am still unclear how this would work.

I use Beersmith. Is this a way to generate beerXML documents? If so, could you be so kind to tell me how to turn this into a working mash profile inside strangebrew? I am also a bit new to the Pi operating system and do not know if it functions like Windows etc...

Sorry, kind of green here but just want a way to have two or three different mash schedules I can call up instead of typing them in each brew day.

Thank you.

You can export any recipe in beersmith as a beerXML file. Quick google search will tell you how to do that for your beersmith version and operating system. SB Elsinore has a button that says "upload beerXML". Click that and browse for the beerXML file. Once uploaded, click "show recipe details" to assign the mash profile to a probe.

If you really didn't want to load your entire recipe details into SB Elsinore for some reason, and would rather just have a couple different beerXML files for different mash profiles, you could manage that way as well. Either learn the beerXML standard (http://www.beerxml.com), and write a file from scratch, or export one from beersmith and modify to your liking. i.e. you can export a full recipe from beersmith with a specific mash profile, and remove all in the recipe in the beerxml file except the mash information, save it, then upload it to SB Elsinore.

The feature works very well as Doug designed it though, so I encourage you to give it a shot with full recipes first. Very nice to have the details all on one page even if you are not managing them all from within SB Elsinore. And if you don't want to see all the details you can hide them. There are no draw backs.

Hey thanks a lot. Do I need a more current version of Strange Brew to do this? I purchased my Hosehead controller in late December which came with Strangebrew installed on the Pi. So I am about three months behind. Seems like this feature was mentioned a few days ago on this thread.

Today officially marks the 2 year birthday of Elsinore!

Well, the first commit/publicly available release at least.

To celebrate, Beta has been merged into Master, so do a fresh pull to fix several issues, added features, and improved stability!

This also marks Elsinore being feature complete. I'll post some new tutorial videos later this week and update the documentation.

Hey thanks a lot. Do I need a more current version of Strange Brew to do this? I purchased my Hosehead controller in late December which came with Strangebrew installed on the Pi. So I am about three months behind. Seems like this feature was mentioned a few days ago on this thread.

Yes, update to the latest version for this functionality.

Today officially marks the 2 year birthday of Elsinore!

Well, the first commit/publicly available release at least.

To celebrate, Beta has been merged into Master, so do a fresh pull to fix several issues, added features, and improved stability!

This also marks Elsinore being feature complete. I'll post some new tutorial videos later this week and update the documentation.

Amazing, congratulations on this accomplishment! :mug:

Back