New Smoker...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used that brand. I recommend you put a chub of sausage in it and slowly smoke it to splatter some seasoning around. Then slice the sausage and fry it for breakfast. Next smoke a chicken for the spatter and pull the meat for quesadillas or Brunswick stew or tacos. Ribs next for a low long smoke to build more seasoning. Put a couple ribs in a pot of greens or beans

I had a similar smoker, also from Masterbuilt, but it was propane. And I now have a charcoal vertical smoker/grill, but it's a kamado so it's a bit different. That said, I've read enough that I might be able to offer some thoughts.

I would recommend looking at a lot of the information, tips & tricks, etc from the Weber Smoky Mountain (WSM) cookers. There's differences, but both the WSM and your cooker are vertical metal cookers. Being charcoal, the tips on how to build your fire will transfer -- look up the minion method in particular.

The biggest issue with a smoker like this will be keeping the door airtight. These are regulated by airflow, so leaky doors mean that you'll have trouble controlling airflow with just the vents. You need to use some sort of heat-tolerant seal on the door to avoid that. When I had my Masterbuilt, I just bought a fireplace gasket and it did the trick.

Since it's vertical, it's key to have some sort of a baffle to protect the food from the direct heat of the fire. It looks like it has a water pan. Some people use water (or other liquid) in that pan, which is totally acceptable. Some people prefer a more dry environment and just fill it with sand. In the Masterbuilt, I typically used a water pan, and the food came out great. In my kamado, I use a ceramic heat deflector, and the food comes out great. But either way, you definitely want to block that direct heat or you'll end up scorching the bottom of whatever you're cooking. You also may want to adjust the shelves when you're cooking to try to keep food as far away from that fire as possible, to avoid scorching.

Remember that the thermometer on the door is useless. A good electronic thermometer that clips onto the grates will give you more accurate information.

And of course your first step is burning it hot (400 F+) without food to burn off any manufacturing oils, then to burn it with cooking oil smeared around the inside to help season it.

I'd recommend the first few burns, like brewbama suggests, be very "forgiving" meats like sausage, pork butt, ribs, etc. Take the time to learn how your smoker reacts over time to both the upper and lower vent settings changing, so that you don't try to put a brisket on for a party and have a fire go out overnight or something similar. Consider it to be "research"... Tell SWMBO that you absolutely need to spend all day out there with some homebrew watching the smoker :D

Enjoy!

After having looked for mods for this particular make & model, seems there is an issue with the charcoal pan & the lack of a gasket to seal the door. I hadn't thought about the thermometer in the door being an issue, I thought it would be a step up from my Weber kettle, it doesn't have a thermometer at all, but with the inserts & a water pan, it smokes meat pretty good. Thanks for the help guys, and if anyone has anything more to add, by all means do, I'd really like to hit the ground running on this one.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Get one of these or similar. One probe goes in the meat the other is for air temp in the smoker. The remote is key. Theres no wondering whats going on with the temps and walking out to the smoker every 20 minutes. Stick the remote on the coffee table and never leave the couch unless you need to. They even have a high/low alarm you can set to tell you if your temps are off. You calibrate the probes in ice water for EXACT temps.The temps on my lid are off by 20 degrees and are useless.
Even comes with free meat claws now!! Bonus!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GM0RXQQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I cooked on a weber kettle for years prior to upgrading to a lang bbq pit and the only thing I can highly recommend for ease of use and consistent results is a pit controller like one of these: https://pitmasteriq.com, no more messing with vents and checking constantly just set it and check it randomly.

I would try the smoker first before making any mods to the charcoal pan. Mine is very similar, also from HD, and I had issues getting the temp up. Reviews online said that there was a problem with the pan and suggested adding holes to the bottom for better air flow. I added some holes but I could still not get the temp over 250. I made my own pan out of chicken wire but still no go, so the problem didn't seem to be with the air flow. Was using the smoker one day and the temp started creeping over 300. As I was trying to figure out what was going on I found that my water pan was dry. Since then I keep the pan about a quarter full and have better control over the temp with the vents.

It looks like your pan already has holes around the bottom. I would fire it up with no water and see what you get and take it from there. You may not need to do anything with it. Like others said, you need to season it first anyway.

I recommend to run it as hot as you can to burn off any oils from manufacturing before you cook any food in it. Congrats on the new toy, looks like it'll be a great smoker for you.

Back