New outdoor burner... a few questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashella

Reaction score
Hey all,

I purchased a 60,000 BTU outdoor burner a few weeks ago, and finally got around to taking the thing for a test drive tonight. Which leads me to my questions...

1) For outdoor burners, how high should you turn up the regulator? If I crank mine all the way, the flames lick a good 6-7 inches up the outside of my 8.5 gallon pot. I tested the burner turned up to about the point where the flames are only just starting to lick up the outside of the pot, maybe 1-2 inches. Is this too high??

2) After bringing the water all the way to a boil, my 8.5 gallon aluminum pot was absolutely COVERED in carbon on the outside. This was much worse on the bottom, where it was about 1/16 inch thick! Is this normal? Will this happen every time? Or, is this a result of running the burner too high. If it's a result of running the burner too high, I have to imagine I will still get significant carbon deposits on the bottom of the pot.

Any tips and info is appreciated!

sounds like you might not be adjusting the air intake properly. once lot, you need to open the intake until the flame is all blue. I typically keep my flame under the pot, or just licking the side. you don't need a lot to keep a good boil - too high and you're just boiling off too much and risking scorching

After some research, it appears that I may have at a bad air mixture, as SimonHucko suggested. The carbon deposits on the pan are from incomplete combustion of the propane. I adjusted my air intake, so I believe this issue will be avoided in the future.

Must've been really rich for propane to leave soot! Glad to hear you got it figured out though.

Your flame should be blue. I bought two burners a while back and had to exchange one that would not adjust correctly. Hope it works out fr you.

Your flame should be blue. I bought two burners a while back and had to exchange one that would not adjust correctly. Hope it works out fr you.

I know this is an older thread but I'm having the same issue. No matter how much I adjust air intake I can't get a blue flame. Tried my first boil with the keggle today and it took 30 minutes to get to boil. Afterwards, quite a bit of soot on the bottom of the pot. I don't mind the clean-up but I sure hate wasting the fuel.

Sounds like I might need to replace the burner? It was $30 from Academy. I guess you get what you pay for.

Back