New Orleans French Quarter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishraile

Reaction score
Hello!

I am going to be staying for almost a week on Bourbon and Canal in the FQ, and was looking for recommendations on three things:

1. Good places to eat
2. Good local beers to drink
3. Sites worth seeing.

I have read through some of the older posts about this and gotten a few good ideas but wanted recommendations a bit more tailored to my setup.

I will be staying right there on bourbon and canal and will be attending a conference which means not a lot of daytime hours will be free for sightseeing. Mainly evenings I am thinking. I won't have a car with me, so need ideas that can be walked to, or easily cabbed.

Thank you in advance!

I live outside of NOLA but frequent the FQ and surrounding area's often.

When are you going?

Sights: Cemetery tour is cool. WWII museum, the confederate monuments (wait they were taken down) LOL. Plantation homes but those are outside of the quarter. Swamp tour if you have time and a way to travel about 45 min from Nola.

Bars & Beer:
Magazine Street Area: this area has several bars and places to eat.
Bars: there are tons all over the FQ and warehouse district. Lucy's retired surfers bar, A World of Beer is around the convention center,
Cooter Browns, Ms Mae's, The District Lounge. Ole Saint on Royal St is Duece McAllister's place. Over 40 beers on tap. Erin Rose bar (it's a dive bar in the quarter--they also have a kitchen called Killer Poboys),

Breweries: Port Orleans Brewing (Zack Strief's place) and Urban South are both on Tchoupitoulas. Nola Brewing is also on this street but I'm not a fan. They brew a lot of sours and funky beers.
Courtyard Brewing>>they brew their own plus have a good list of commercial beers on tap.
Parleaux Beer Lab is in the Bywater community. They have a great NEIPA and a Saison plus some others.
Wayward Owl Brewing.. Never been but it's on my list.

Places to eat:
Cochon Butcher, Felix's in the quarter (great chargrilled oysters), The Joint BBQ, Dominica located in the Roosevelt Hotel. They serve Italian and wood fired pizza. I think they still have a happy hour where pizza is $6. Louisiana Pizza Kitchen around the flea market area on Decatur.

Bourbon has several bars with 3-1, like Razoo's and the swamp. If you are going to Bourbon after dark travel with a group and stay on the main strip, not the side roads.

There are so many more places..hard to list. Any questions shoot me a PM. If I think of other places I'll shoot you a PM.

Forgot to mention Frenchman Street. On the back side of the Quarter. Mostly bars and they only open at night. The DBA music club is cool. If Little Freddie King is playing there check him out. Plays some funky blues. DBA has a web site that will list who plays. They also have a decent beer list. Take an Uber there and back to your hotel tho.

Alright, thank you guys for your responses, here is what I have so far. Won't be able to hit this all, but nice to have a list and see what I can do:

Places to Eat

1. New Orleans Food and Spirit

2. Jax Brewery

3. Café DuMonde

4. Acme Oyster House

5. Felix's Oyster Bar

6. Deanie's Seafood

7. Breakfast at Brennans

8. central grocery muffaletta

9. Cannons

10. Pat OBrians

11. World of Beer

12. Crescent City Brewhouse

13. Gordon Biersch

Places to See

1. Bourbon St during the day

2. Cigar Store on Canal

3. WWII Museum

Beers to Try

1. NOLA Brewery

2. Courtyard Brewing

3. Second Line Brewing

4. Urban South

5. 40 Aprent

6. Gnarly Barley

One of my favorite places to visit.
I'd recommend checking out the pubs / music on Frenchman Street.
The Spotted Cat / Bamboulas / Dragons Den / Snug Harbor.
IMHO Bourbon Street is the scourge of New Orleans. If it's your first visit, by all means spend a few minutes there and get it out of your system. Then visit the real New Orleans.

Agreed... Abita Amber is prevalent, but they also make some unique beers. Bad Mother Shucker Oyster Stout, Andygator, Big Easy IPA, Mardi Gras Bock... just to name a few. The brewery tour is a hoot.

I haven't been to NOLA since 2012, but Camelia Grill has the best omelette I've ever had. We ended up going twice for breakfast.

Best breakfast, in my hung over, married to a 4th generation Cajun opinion, is at Mothers on Poydras St. Yeah, the ladies who work the line have an attitude, but your stomach will thank you. Debris and grits or maybe a Ferdi Special...Yum! Central Grocery muffaletta is classic, but if the line is too long, try Mesperos on Decatur. Deanies is really good, but if you have transportation, go out to R & O in Metairie. No matter what Zimmern says, there is space for tourists amongst the locals....If you can really get out of town, go west to the original Middendorfs, about 1 hour west, in Akers. The thin cut catfish basket is heaven! Couchon, in the business district, has outstanding food and and an excellent beer selection...Beer seems to be secondary to the food, the scene and the music in NOLA, IMHO. If you had more than a week, then the list would change, especially if you could travel southwest towards the Cajun Heartland. Hell,the wife and I spent almost a week on the "Boudin Trail" west of Lafayette!, just sayin'......

Head north of Lake Ponchartrain to Phils Marina Cafe in Slidell.
Watch the shrimp boats deliver what reaches your table in minutes.
A massive platter of Royal Red Shrimp steamed in drawn butter for cheap. And the Tuna is to die for.

I don;'t have a lot to add that hasn't been said, but I was there last fall and can recommend:
Urban South Brewing, Courtyard, NoLa (at least on draft; didn't get that far down Tchoup.. to their brewery) Crescent City Brewhouse (the beer was OK, but the food was great.) Acme Oyster House, World of Beer, Cochon Butcher, Central Market.
Obligatory Café Du Monde for the beignets with a pound of sugar.
Breakfast at Mother's on Poydras.
The WW2 Museum was amazing. The Mardi Gras World workshop was really cool.
We did a walking tour of the Garden District and a Ghost / cemetary Tour that were both fun and interesting in their own ways.

Back