new one for me ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
on may 1 I started a batch of hard lemonade it had an sg of1.064
I started a batch of kiwi raspberry on may 4 sg was 1.068
today I started a batch of peach so whine I had all the equipment out I thought I would check the lemonade and kiwi raspberry see how the were coming along
my lemonade is at sg 1.078 and my kiwi raspberry is at 1.08
when I made them I did not check the temp but they were around room temp
(68)
the only thing I can think of is temp affecting the sg reading but how much it can affect the reading they are both higher than when I started
my other thought is that I took the samples from the top and I did not mix it first could the sugar rose to the top
the only thing for sure is that it was not carbon bubbles sticking to the hydrometer
anybody have a clue what this could be from
thanks

temp usually one moves a SG reading a point or two depending. i would say its more likely that when you took the original reading it wasn't mixed well enough and you got a light sample. i would just throw away the reading.

what was your recipe? we may be able to calculate what the OG should of been.

all I used was 11 cans of fruitopia kiwi/raspberry concentrate
2.5 lbs of white sugar
2.5 lbs of corn sugar
and the rest water in a 5 gal carboy
what is the formula to get the og

hmmm the frutopia concentrate may be a little hard to calculate. wasn't expecting that.

the white and corn sugar on the other hand can be calculated.

OG = (ppg * weight)/gallons

in this case the white sugar is

(46 * 2.5) / 5 gallons = 23 points

corn sugar

(46 * 2.5) / 4 gallons = 23 points

so just from the sugar alone your OG should of been 1.046.

if you have any of the concentrate left over you can figure out its ppg yourself. pour 1 pound into a gallon container and add water till its 1 gallon then take its SG. that will give you the juices ppg. then use the above formula to figure out what its contribution to your OG was.

is there a place that I can find these formulas
so I can understand the reason behind the number 46
this is intresting

if you take 1 pound of white or corn sugar and add enough water to bring it up to one gallon (the sugar takes up space) and take a hydrometer reading it would read 1.046. this is known as points per pound per gallon (ppg).

do a google search for beer math. i'm sure there is a sight out there somewhere that has allot of formulas with better explanations than i can give.

that makes sense
you've been a great help thanks
may all your brews be great my friend

Back