New Moon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiffy

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a Blue Moon clone using a recipe I found here. The first batch went well, but I didn't crack the coriander and that made me nervous enough to make an identical batch a week latrer with cracked coriander. The only other difference between the two was the yeast. The first used Wyeast Belgian Wheat beer and the second used Wyeast Belgian Wit Beer. I got good color and flavor out of the first batch, but it seems to have dryed out quite a bit in the keg. I still like it and it's crisp and refreshing, but not what I was going for. The yeast didn't seem to give the flavors I wanted to begin with either.

As for the title of the post, the second batch is ready for the keg today and when I went into the temp controlled closet where both batches were fermented, (68 degrees F) I found a carboy full of beer so clear it would make a lager cellar proud. The color is good and theres nothing funky growing on it. I haven't tasted it yet as I'll be kegging later this evening and don't want to expose it to O2 just yet.

Which finally brings me to my question. Should I bottle it in its beautifully clear form and call it "New Moon" or should I stir up the yeast a bit and get it cloudy again like it should be? I figure it will just settle in the keg again if I stir it up, correct?

Thanks for any wisdom you can instill in me,
Stiffy

Go with New Moon! :mug: Even though you are trying clone a beer, coming up close but still a little different is good.. and stirring would be bad, it would just settle out again over time.

Thanks for the input. New moon it is! Going in the keg clear as a lager. I'm excited to taste it now. Come on, Come on carb up darn you!

That's what happens with wits. I'm curious how long you had it in the bucket. Generally wits are drank fresh. I find that 1-2 weeks in primary with 3944 is plenty. Carb quickly and start drinking.

After a while the cloudiness of the wits start to settle out and the flavor changes. In my mind it doesn't make it worse, just different.

It was in primary for 2 weeks and secondary for 2 weeks. Is that too long? It's under pressure in the keg now. My first attempt with wheat beer yeast (3942 I think) and it stayed cloudy. It has changed in the keg. It dried out considerably. This one finished at 1.008 (I'll get back with og). The sample I pulled tasted very good, just not what I expected.

So, next time, shorter fermentation? This was my first attempt at wit.

Thanks,
Stiffy

Back