New mini regulator for corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
So after searching high and low for a compact and simple regulator for portable dispensing out of my corny kegs i found these Gems on aliexpress

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/home...h-ball-lock-fitting-mini-CO2/32511287564.html

This unit Ironically shipped from Sweden!

It did however take a while to come snail mail.

This was the best price with shipping I could find ($31) and comes with at least the ball lock connector which I can easily swap back and forth without any tools needed between my pinlock and ball lock connectors.

It also came with 1 16g co2 cartridge which is enough to dispense 1/2 of a 5 gallon corny keg or 1 2.5 gallon keg.

I was also to find a seller who had the food grade 16g cartridges for $1 each shipped on ebay here and received them today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350585666253?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Unlike the similar co2 dispensers my local HBS carries this is a real regulator with a gauge and adjustable pressure regulator which I like for consistent pouring and carbonation.
The unit appears to be very well built and I'm very satisfied with my purchase ...
Hope this might be useful to others looking for something like this...

My operation costs are $2 per 5 gallon keg due to the c02 costs but I feel its worth it as it will take me a long time to use the 30 pack of c02 cartridges. I have a regular regulator connected to a 20oz paintball tank Ive used also in the past and this is a much more compact solution which also eliminates the concern of some leak emptying my tank and having to have an extra with me on my trips.

resized reg 2.jpg

resized regulator.jpg

resized reg 3.jpg

@Bobby_M started selling these in his shop, although they are currently out of stock.

http://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/minireg.htm

Good to know! I wasnt aware of that... considering the long wait for shipping The price is very fair through him as well. And if by chance theres an issue with it Im sure dealing with him will be easier and quicker.

I saw that Williams brewing has a lot of options too but the odd sized co2 cartridges would not be easy to obtain quickly as far as I could see in the states... These I can simple trow in my pocket if need be.

I've been looking for a small, portable solution for pressurizing and serving a 2.5gal corny for summer camping trips. This just might be it, thanks for finding this.

...It did however take a while to come snail mail...

How long from order to arrival?

The plastic jobbies all seem to get poor marks for durability and reliability, has this one worked well for you?

The description says "0-150 psi." Is that what the gauge reads? That's a really broad range, do you find it difficult to dial in on a good serving pressure (around 10-15psi I suppose)?

I tried one of those regulators a while back and I have got to say that they are a bit junky. They seem to be really cheaply made and it never quite managed to keep a constant pressure, it would tend to creep up or down and required constant adjustment. Also, it takes multiple 16 gram cartridges to dispense one keg.

I went to my LHBS just before I skipped town for Memorial Day weekend, and found this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/mini-co2-regulator

It is nice and heavy and really easy to set a pressure that it maintains perfectly. It also uses 74 gram CO2 cartridges, so I did not have to keep switching them out. I served just shy of two 5 gal kegs with one cartridge. I could not be happier with it!

I use one of these on my portable keg cooler.

I combined it with this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y1874W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) and an ASA fill station adapter to connect it to a paintball tank since I didn't want to have to mess with changing the cartridges all the time. I just keep a few spare cartridges on hand in case the tank runs our or there is a leak.

Just a note on the adapter I linked to since I was confused about it at first. It has 3/16 JIC threads on one end which is the exact same as the 3/8-24 threads on the regulator.

The description says "0-150 psi." Is that what the gauge reads? That's a really broad range, do you find it difficult to dial in on a good serving pressure (around 10-15psi I suppose)?

Search around aliexpress a bit. There are some with 0-30 psi gauges.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took a while (few weeks).. I have used it and it worked as advertised but I found if the beer is not fully carbonated enough already it will consume the gas quickly... as long as it's already properly carbonated it works fine for me. As mentioned it takes 2 16 gram cartridges to dispense a 5 gallon keg... that's $2 if you buy the 30 packs for $30 with shipping.. I believe my gauge only goes to 30 which is more than enough.

Mine does not seem cheaply made at all so I'm not sure if Brad had the same one... mines made of cnced aluminum it seems .. not really sure how they could have made it better besides adding a more expensive gauge but the one I have is nice and small and works fine so? For as much as these cost I was actually impressed with build quality.

Latest posts

Back