New Kettle Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgull

Reaction score
hi all, i'm ready to upgrade my kettle to try some new things like full volume extract boil, and BIAB full volume. i only brew 5 gallon batches and pretty much just high gravity IPA's and Stouts. i think i'm sold on the mega pot 1.2 but i can't decide on the size. i would like to go 10gal, because i'm thinking the 15gal is too big for 5gal extract brews, and i don't brew 10 gal batches. also i don't want to buy a new immersion chiller for the bigger kettle. is there anyone out there that can tell me from experience if 10gal is big enough?

I think you need to look at a few things.
1. What is your budget
2. What is your heat source
3. Future ambitions

The reason I say that, is that with good planning and budgeting you should get the pot that is going to fit within your preferred price point as well as something large enough if you chose to expand to a larger boil volume. When I went to AG I decided on 15 gallons as a minimum... I think if price isnt prohibitive, go with the 15Gal

There are many existing threads on this topic. The general consensus seems to be that 10g is sufficient, even with big beers. Keep in mind that extra head space will help contribute to a loss of temperature control. There are ways around that, but consider it before deciding to use a bigger kettle (if you want to start doing 10 gallon batches sooner than later).

Also, here's a link to "Can I Mash It" calc. I dont think it's for Extract or BIAB though but it could help with the total amount of water needed with grains/h20 ratio.

thanks guys for the quick responses. BOWTIE: my budget is somewhat flexible but i have limits. my heat source is a turkey fryer in the summer and my gas range in winter. my only goal is to produce great beer, for myself only with the least amount of purchased gear. i have no need for 10gal batches and honestly i have always wanted to brew more often than my needs and money allow. i'm lucky enough to have a great selection of beer to buy in my area, so i brew for fun.
BEERFIRE: thanks for the info. i have read many threads on the subject and a lot of folks offering opinions about the size but not much experience based info. i want to be able to use one kettle for both BIAB and extract if possible. right now i'm leaning towards the 10gal. also the link doesn't seem to be working but i'll google it.

hi all, i'm ready to upgrade my kettle to try some new things like full volume extract boil, and BIAB full volume. i only brew 5 gallon batches and pretty much just high gravity IPA's and Stouts.

is there anyone out there that can tell me from experience if 10gal is big enough?

I use a 9 gallon kettle on my cook top. Works great with a sparge step.

10 gallons will be pushing the limit for BIAB full volume mash with high gravity beers. I think you could probably get by with an 18 pound grain bill, maybe.

Also, if you're going to do the cook top thing make sure to measure how much space you've got between the cook top and the hood, microwave, or whatever else is above it.

If you're even considering doing full-volume BIAB for 5 gallons of finished beer I'd go with a 15gal kettle without question. A 10 gallon kettle using that method is going to max out pretty quickly. You mentioned liking to brew high gravity beers - that isn't going to happen in a 10 gallon kettle doing full-volume BIAB for 5 gallon batches.

Now of course, there are options that will work great with a 10 gallon kettle - you can sparge, do smaller batch sizes, etc to eliminate the volume issue. Biggest thing is to buy something that will work for any batch sizes, brewing methods, etc., that you think you'll want to experiment with in the future.

Just my two cents. Good luck with the search.

Cheers.

Here's a water & mash volume calculator specifically for BIAB, with and without sparge. It will tell you the volume required for a full volume mash for a given grain bill. If you put in your pot measurements, it will also tell you how much freeboard you will have.

Edit: Actually it calculates the mash depth, so you have to subtract that from the pot height to get freeboard.
Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
+1 on 15g, especially if you think you may want to venture into BIAB in the future. I was recently in your position, as I do 5g BIAB and my old 8g kettle was barely getting me by. I decided it was time to upgrade and was torn between 10g or 15g. Decided to go with the 15g Megapot and couldn't be happier. It may seem like overkill for a 5g batch, but it really isn't.

I do 6 g stove top BIAB in a 10 gallon. I typically use 12-15lbs of grain in 7-8 gallons of water with a 1.5 gallon dunk sparge in a separate pot.

Getting up to temps and to boil can take awhile.

The 15 gallon tamale steamer that I bought just barely clears the microwave hood so I can't use it on the the stove :(

Go with the 15 gallon kettle.

With kettles, bigger is better IMO. Having a kettle that is too big won't limit you from doing certain beers. Having a kettle that is too small will limit you with some beers.

I only do 5 gallon batches (AG, not BIAB), and I have a 15 gallon kettle. I'm very glad I have the big kettle. The boiloff rate is a little higher, so I can sparge with extra water and get better efficiency since I'll be boiling the extra sparge volume off.

My downsides to going larger: slightly higher boiloff rate, more expensive

My upsides to going larger: can easily handle 90-120 minute boils, can accommodate larger batches if you decide to go to 7-10 gallon batches, peace of mind regarding boilovers

Check dimensions of the kettle to make sure your chiller will work, any thermometer couplers will be submerged at your 5-6 gallon final wort volume, and that it fits on your range.

I have a 15 gallon kettle and make 10-11 gallons at a time, and I wish I had a 20-gallon.

One other thing I didnt think of before going BIAB was that I bought an 8 gallon megapot 1.2 and I love it, however I got the thermometer and ball valve option. The bag seems to hang up on the probe, and I would like to use a fryer basket but it doesnt submerge enough so I just line the pot with the bag and pour in the grain. The probe seems to interrupt stirring as well.

Mike

My downsides to going larger: slightly higher boiloff rate, more expensive

My upsides to going larger: can easily handle 90-120 minute boils, can accommodate larger batches if you decide to go to 7-10 gallon batches, peace of mind regarding boilovers

Check dimensions of the kettle to make sure your chiller will work, any thermometer couplers will be submerged at your 5-6 gallon final wort volume, and that it fits on your range.

I have a 15 gallon kettle and make 10-11 gallons at a time, and I wish I had a 20-gallon.

How does the higher boiloff rate make it more expensive? I've found that the higher boiloff rate makes it less expensive. I get better efficiency, so I use less grain. Then again I use tap water. However, even if you're using bottled water, it should at least come out as a wash.

I asked the same question once and got the 15g, you should too it works perfect for 5 gallon batches.

How does the higher boiloff rate make it more expensive? I've found that the higher boiloff rate makes it less expensive. I get better efficiency, so I use less grain. Then again I use tap water. However, even if you're using bottled water, it should at least come out as a wash.

They were meant to be separate points. There is a small difference in boiloff rate due to larger diameter (which isn't really a major downside, just runoff a bit more water). There is a not-so-small difference in cost. 20 gallon kettles cost around 50-60 more than 15 gallon kettles.

Only having 2 BIAB batches under my belt.. I'd personally go with the 15 gallon pot if you are going to do full volume BIAB at some point. I just did an Oaked Arrogant Bastard last week, and the water volume to start with was 10.34 gallons... (90 minute boil).. If you go with a 10 gallon pot, you'll be squeezing and or sparging.. which isn't a big deal.. But I def like the simplicity of pulling the bag from the pot, letting it drain for a bit, and being done with it..

Another one for going to a 15g kettle. If you do any big beers at all you will be close to running out of room with a 10g kettle. After doing one big beer in a 10g kettle I went a nd got a 15g spike brewing kettle and couldn't be happier

The *only* downside of 15G is will it fit stovetop?

For me, the answer was "no". My cheap 15G tamale steamer just barely fits under the micro-hood. I consider that too close for comfort.

This..... 304 18/8 1.2mm sidewall with a triclad 5mm bottom. It a good heavy pot for $127.00!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X1JRXM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That is a nice very heavy pot w/ clad bottom.

The problem I see is that the OP wants a kettle to use stovetop in the winter, and outside with a turkey burner in the summer.
One pot to fit both these requirements is tricky, as the larger heavier pots may not fit, or boil on a stovetop.

I have a hunch that clad bottom pots take more energy to boil, and a thinner aluminum takes less than stainless.

All this said, a cheap 10 gal aluminum pot might be the shoe that fits....or a winter and a summer pot IDK???

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I started doing 5 gallon extract kits on the stovetop in a 7.6 gallon turkey pot. When I purchased my propane burner I looked at 10 gallon pots and to tell you the truth they didn't look much larger, so I went 15, thinking " I probably will NEVER do 10 gallon batches, but I'd like to preserve the option. With a 15 gallon pot the danger of boilover of a 5 gallon ( and most 10 gallon) batch is GREATLY reduced. Guess how large my FIRST batch was? I dont brew in the winter and it's nice to be able to push out a couple 10 gallon batches throughout the sumer to fill up the pipeline. I generally do a double batch of wee heavy in the spring and Guiness in the fall.

wow! lots of new info. after carefully rereading everyone's post i think 15 gal is the prudent choice. things like 120 min boils and full boil BIAB sound like fun. also a 15gal will fit on my range because unfortunately i don't have a hood. however the range is recessed in my counter so it has to be slid out to fit it. i don't have to use the stove top, but would like it to be possible when the weather is nasty. i still have some research to do but, i think i like the spike brewing pot. a welded fitting with a thinner bottom sounds like a good choice. also i don't think i'll be getting a thermometer. seems unnecessary, and prob in the way for BIAB. i really appreciate all the responses. helps this noob make better choices.

I was in the same boat as you. I decided to get a 15g from spike and it is great! It's not overkill for a 5 gallon batch and while I haven't done it yet, it will be able to handle a double batch (10g)

Yup, definitely go for 15G if it'll fit. I would be using mine if it wasn't so tight.

You'll probably need to supplement your stove with an electric heat stick in order to be able to reach mash temps and get to a boil in reasonable times for anything bigger than a 5-6G batch....

I'm usually boiling 7.5 gallons to get a 6G batch and it takes foooorrrrreeeevvvveeerrrr... I need to get a heat stick soon.

Those 50qt concord are a pretty happy medium (12.5 gal vs 10 or 15) and they're pretty cheap. I've got one and the most I've done is a full volume mash 24lb grain bill. Fit just fine.

Another vote for 15g. I do 5 gal full boil BIAB and often find myself starting w/ 8/8.5 gal worth of strike water.

This is the pot I have. Cheap and utilitarian, though if I had to do it again, I might get something a little nicer and would probably go 20 gal.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V493PG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Report back with a review!

I was the one that told Homebrew finds about those pots. Mine arrived about 3-4 days ago. Good condition, quick arrival. Very shiny appearance.

Boiled for about an hour to develop a nice passive layer, and found out my stovetop cant boil that much surface area by itself:(

No problem, HEAT STICKS TO THE RESCUE! Put a heat stick in (1350W from amazon) and turned the burner down to 6 since it would've been a super strong boil.

Afterwards I let it cool overnight, and dumped the water into the sink. Nice dark layer on the interior walls now. There is a distinct dark ring on the bottom of the kettle from the location of the burner. Might need to look into that in the future, but I'm not too worried about it for now.

Report back with a review!

I didn't buy the heavy duty, but this this is definitely up to the task. Shiny, thick (4mm) walls, and thick handles that seem VERY secure.

Definitely the bees knees for $33.

I will use my turkey fryer (6gal, previous boil kettle) as my HLT for the next year or so or until my build is complete, then pick up a 30-32qt Supera for my HLT. I have no doubt I'll get YEARS out of this pot!

Edit, they are $29 right now!

I got the $29 deal. Added a lid and then threw in some 30 gallon trash bags so I could get free shipping. Should be showing up in the doorstep any day now.

don't forget to establish the passive oxide layer before brewing with it, like priceless did....

I might have to get one these Superas... I have 3, 10 & 15 gallon tamale steamers but they are very thin walled. I'm not sure I could add a valve, for instance.

Sounds like these staples jobbies are fairly sturdy.

They aren't just from Staples. They are commercial grade pots and sold on kitten sites and all kinds of places. Supera is a good brand name.

I didn't buy the heavy duty, but this this is definitely up to the task. !

I'll second this, I have a 15 gallon aluminum, 4 mm thick. Plenty thick IMO for home brewing, and I love how lightweight it is, yet plenty strong. I could see the 6mm for daily commercial use where a pot is getting slammed around by kitchen staff. For a one owner / user, the 4 mm is a lot of pot for the money.

Staples also has the 100 qt for $67.99, in my best crocodile Dundee, "now that's a pot"

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back