New kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisrush

Reaction score
Just bought a used True 2 door kegerator (I think I can fit 8 cornies inside) :mug: from a bar that was closing down. It needs a bit of clean-up but it works well and keeps a nice cool temperature. I have a couple of questions and I'll snap some pictures tomorrow.

How do I get the top as clean as possible? I rubbed it down with some diluted bleach solution and got most of the gunk off it (old crusty bud light I assume), but the top (stainless steel) could use a little work.

Same question for the towers. I have 2 towers, one with 2 taps and the second has 1 tap. What is the best way to clean them up nicely? Spit shine?

I need to clean out the compressor etc., compressed air the best way to get it mostly cleaned out?

Should I get some brew line cleaner and run it through the beer lines? What about the CO2? I would assume them are ok, but should I run some diluted bleach through them and let them dry out?

Thanks in advance and Prost.

Chris

I like to use Bon Ami for cleaning most things that you don't want to scratch yet needs some abrasive. don't use it with an abrasive pad, just use a cloth. I use it on glass and all my ceramic bowls and cook tops for years with not scratching of the finish. A lot of people like Barkeepers Friend as well but I have no experience with that product.

Can't help with the compressor but I would change all the beer and gas lines just to be safe and have a starting point unless you know they are fairly new.

Thanks Blender. The CO2 lines look fairly good. The beer lines could be changed though.

Where can you get Bon Ami from? Home Depot, etc?

Just wanted to put some pictures of my new kegerator. Some before and after pics.

Outside - dirty

day_1.jpg

Inside - dirty
before_clean_inside.jpg

dirty_filter.jpg

Thanks Bill.

Do you know how to embed the pics in the thread?

Also, I plugged the kegerator in this evening and it is tripping my GFCI. I tried it earlier in the week and it was fine. Anyone have any ideas? The breaker is a 15A breaker, and the research that I found online has the kegerator at 8.5 A.

That's a good idea. i painted the bottom where it was rusting a bit. Cleaned it up and hopefully will protect the bottom.

Nice! I found a similar True unit on Craigslist recently and wussed out...I was told by a friend who's a refrigeration repair tech that they are noisy- is yours very loud?

I wouldn't say it is loud, but you can tell it is on.

I'm selling if you are interested, $500.

I'd be tempted to jump on it, but I actually just picked a chest freezer I found on CL today! Why are you selling, if you don't mind me asking?

Just too big for me, I don't need the storage of 8 cornies. Maybe we can work out a trade?

I hear you...I do like the amount yours can hold, but it's too much for me too. Being in a 1 bedroom house has got me pretty limited on what I can use. Have you thought about putting it on Craigslist? I would think after how well you cleaned it up, it wouldn't be a problem to sell!

I hear you...I do like the amount yours can hold, but it's too much for me too. Being in a 1 bedroom house has got me pretty limited on what I can use. Have you thought about putting it on Craigslist? I would think after how well you cleaned it up, it wouldn't be a problem to sell!

Its on Craigslist right now. Got a few nibbles, but nothing serious. I even had the old "I'll send you a check and you send the difference plus the kegerator" email. I told him no thanks, but my Nigerian relative who has $20 million in US currency won't let me do that. :lol:

wow- scammers really don't give people much credit, do they? lol
You should reply "How's about you show up, with the RIGHT amount, in CASH and then we'll talk" lol

wow- scammers really don't give people much credit, do they? lol
You should reply "How's about you show up, with the RIGHT amount, in CASH and then we'll talk" lol

I played nice the first time, and told him that I would accept cash. The second time he asked the same question and got a different, more colorful answer.

Back