New Keg Looks Funny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer4412

Reaction score
So I got my first keg yesterday, bar manager at my local bowling alley said he’d had one sitting in the basement for 2 years I could have. So free keg, super bonus. Anyway got home last night super excited and the keg was covered with this plastic/rubber on the top and bottom of the keg. I figured it was just a protective cover to prevent damaging the keg, but apparently not. Anyway I removed the top one and this is what I found. What an odd looking keg. Anyway I have the following questions.

Do you think I should remove the bottom cover? I could use it as the MLT in a HERMS style system as is. Still unsure if I want to do HERMS or RIMS.

I have to assume the bottom of the keg is slightly rounded like the top of the keg. Has anyone seen a keg like this before, and can you confirm this.

I was planning to build a Brutus single tier style frame to hold my three keggles, if I do leave the bottom as is should I be concerned about the heat from the HLT and BK burners melting the bottom?

At least it was free so if I end up trying to replace it with a normal keg I’m not out anything.

Keg13.jpg

Keg22.jpg

Back