New hop grower in MI. when are you harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walte1fr

Reaction score
Hello everyone. It's my first year growing hops. I have all 2nd and 3rd year plants and all are producing cones. I have centennial, columbus, and cascade. Does anyone have a guess at when they would harvest each one? I know they mature at different times just trying to get an idea.

Thanks

Oh yeah I'm in mid michigan by the way.

I'm down in Toledo and I harvested my Hallertau last weekend. My Mt hood might be ready this weekend. Nugget and Zeus are about 2 weeks out still.
My guess would be that with your usually slightly cooler temperatures you'll be harvesting between now and Sept 15.

When the tips of the leaves start to turn brown - or when you start to get a two-tone color in the flowers.
When the hop cone feels dry and pappery - like a crunched up ball of tissue paper.
When you tear a cone in half and see a dark, rich yellow lupulin glands.
"Chop and brew 11" just released a video today that talks about it, if it helps at all. You can find on chopandbrew.com or youtube.

the leaves of the flower- sorry. Something like the one below. I may have wanted to get these a little earlier, but that will give you the idea.

2010-09-02180014.jpg

And here is a little, "squish test" video that I sent a buddy to see if they were ready when I started growing.
http://s54.photobucket.com/user/SuperTedMaximus/media/Hops/video-2010-09-02-18-01-41.mp4.html

Back