New Guiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100%

AND... Guinness Draught is my favorite dry stout also. Personally, I could give a rat's a$$ what anyone thinks about that too ;)

My favorite Oatmeal Stout was from a brewpub though.

100%

AND... Guinness Draught is my favorite dry stout also. Personally, I could give a rat's a$$ what anyone thinks about that too ;)

My favorite Oatmeal Stout was from a brewpub though.

:mug:

It is possible, however unlikely, that your 2 favorite stouts both happen to be by guinness......but just statistically speaking, what are the odds????

I am glad to hear that you have at least tried other stouts.

And yes, you are entitled to think what you want.

Next St Patty's day, try a schlafly extra stout (they only brew it around then ) and if there is any way possible, it is on me!

Zixxer10R said:
Even though Revvy pretty much substantiated my opinion with his post, i will say that i HAVE had fresh Guiness from both their store room and all around Ireland in different places. Well, almost. If you ask for a Guiness in Cork you'll be thrown out of the bar, Murphy's is king in southern Ireland.

Yeah, that's not true. I lived in Cork for six months, and while there were some bars that were murphys only, there were a lot more that sold a ton of Guinness. That's where I developed my love of it. Such great stuff on draft over there.

Guinness Draught is the reason you won't find too many craft examples of regular dry stout. They can't compete, and its not worth trying.

6 lbs LME 1 lb roasted barley will kick the **** out of Guinness. I wish someone would try, I love dry stout.

I do like Guinness, though.

6 lbs LME 1 lb roasted barley will kick the **** out of Guinness. I wish someone would try, I love dry stout.

I do like Guinness, though.

I did 6 lbs pald dme
1 lb roasted,
1lb black patent

and I was disapointed because it was Guinness. My friends said it was way better than guinness, but I was disapointed.

I did 6 lbs pald dme
1 lb roasted,
1lb black patent

and I was disapointed because it was Guinness. My friends said it was way better than guinness, but I was disapointed.

Really? Mine was much roastier and better tasting, and yours must have been even roastier. I think I'll go brew another, although I can't decide to go AG or extract for easiness.

Have you ever tried Guiness in Ireland or Europe? Its pretty fantastic. The crap we get over here is nothing like what they are drinking.

I just dont buy that "urban beer legend" the Guiness passes all their "bad" beer to the states which I'm guessing is their biggest market. I've had Guinness in 4 different continents (along with all the other beer I could try of course) and its all the same.

I just dont buy that "urban beer legend" the Guiness passes all their "bad" beer to the states which I'm guessing is their biggest market. I've had Guinness in 4 different continents (along with all the other beer I could try of course) and its all the same.

I never said they pass all their bad beer to the states. My point being was that Guiness in Europe doesnt have any preservatives and isnt pastuerized, to me, it tastes different. Maybe it all tastes the same to everyone else, but what I had tasted very fresh and very different than what I have had in the states. That was my only point.

Huskysibe said:
I never said they pass all their bad beer to the states. My point being was that Guiness in Europe doesnt have any preservatives and isnt pastuerized, to me, it tastes different. Maybe it all tastes the same to everyone else, but what I had tasted very fresh and very different than what I have had in the states. That was my only point.

Guinness is pasteurized everywhere.

i don't think ireland ever had a purity law (maybe, but i never heard of it). germany used to, but i think that was kind of a old thing

Huskysibe said:
Well, I guess the guy at the pub in England lied to me then. He claimed none of their beers are pastuerized due to a purity law :confused:

Yep they lied. Like the last poster said they do it Germany now too. Purity law is old news.

Look what I've got!!!!

309616_10150321685264067_620469066_8040727_2004434120_n.jpg

It is quite tasty. It is very smooth and quaffable, like any lager should be. It has some nice roasty notes to it, but none of the bitterness, or even slight sourness that have come to be considered trademark Guinness Stout flavor components. It's the debittered and lighter bodied version of a Guinness product.

I could definitely pound back a few of these on a hot day.

It's got some decent flavor, I think I have a bottle still of Mcsorley's Black lager, and sometime this week I'll do a taste test.

I can't wait to try it on tap somewhere.

I give it a A-/B+, it's definitely something I think I might pick up again.

I had this a while ago, its basically a schwarzbier, with roasted barley instead of carafa, IMO.

Drinking a six pack right now. Not great, not bad, very smooth and easy to drink. Fairly plain, mostly a clean neutral taste (which you would expect from a lager) but roasty. It's about what you'd expect. I wouldn't seek it out, but I would buy it again if I was somewhere with a bad / limited selection. I'd rather drink their flagship beer.

Drinking a six pack right now. Not great, not bad, very smooth and easy to drink. Fairly plain, mostly a clean neutral taste (which you would expect from a lager) but roasty. It's about what you'd expect. I wouldn't seek it out, but I would buy it again if I was somewhere with a bad / limited selection. I'd rather drink their flagship beer.

My reaction exactly.

Downed 4 of my 6 pack. Not impressed, but since switching to ales, lagers don't impress me any longer. I mean I'll finish the last two, but won't buy any more.

I had it. It was WAY WORSE than the original stout. Almost undrinkable, in my opinion.

I can drink the stout but the lager is BAD.

Isn't it pretty much a roggenbier? I'd like to try it but I would prefer a single. I am trying to get into lagers. Good to be well rounded. Err not roggen, schwarz.

Oh yeah we have already covered this duh.

Its not anymore a roasty shwarzbeir then a cda (iba) is a hoppy porter. Its just some guy at the brewery said hey lets throw lager yeast into stout wort and sell it to americans, they love that kinda sht. Now all that aside it dosnt stop it from being a good beer.

Revvy said:
I figured it was pretty much a swarzbier....Isn't a ROggenbier a rye beer?

Yessir those two styles get mixed up in my head. I dunno why. They are both German. That's where the similarities end.

Wake me up if they decide to ship kilkenny our way, otherwise, I am not that interested with any guiness beer TBH

Back