New Glarus Apple Ale clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivercity_homebrew

Reaction score
I posted this in the all-grain thread and didn't get a response.

So I'm thinking of trying to clone (or at least come close to) New Glarus Apple ale. I had a bottle left over from last year and when tasting it, it seems like a brown ale that has sweet cider added. The sweetness is definitely unfermented cider not residual unfermented sugars.

My idea is to brew a 3 gallon batch of brown ale (English style with low hops), keg and pour 2 gallons of sweet cider on top after the yeast has dropped out and the keg is cold.

Thoughts? Any brown ale recipe suggestions? I have never brewed one.

Thanks.

There are several good brown ale recipes, such as Lil' Sparky's, Yooper's Fat Squirrel clone, and GingerBreadMan's Poke the Bear.

There are several Newcastle clones (northern style browns), Moose Drool clones, double brown ales, and sweet brown ales. Look through the recipe section on this site and find one that looks appealing to you for your purpose. I would suggest a Southern England style, just because that would seem to harmonize with your sweet cider.

Back