New fermenter build coming soon.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor_Wily

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I inherited a bucket today. It is a 5 gallon frosting bucket from Meijer. I have a few questions before I go ahead with this build (which I will try and document and do a write up for it.)

First and foremost, has anyone used this type of bucket and had any luck? I am assuming it is safe to use considering it used to hold food. Will the frosting smell modify my brew? I think it will so I plan to clean it very well (and avoid scratching the inside of it of course)

The lid does not have a black gasket type seal but it seems to need some extra "umph" to close it.

My plan is to drill a hole in the top of the bucket and run some tubing into a bottle of some sort to act as an air lock and to catch any blow off that may happen.

Any feedback or recommendations on this build? This is the first of a few builds I plan to do.

Thanks!
Wily

It sounds like it would be ok to use, but the problem with using a 5 gallon bucket is that you could only brew a 4 gallon batch in it. When you are in the primary phase, the krausen build up is such that it needs atleast that extra gallon head space. That's why the people that use carboy's for primary use a 6.5 gallon carboy for a 5 gallon batch. I would recommend to look online. Buckets are cheap and they already have the grommet built in for the airlock. My LHBS sells em for like 14 bucks. They are cheap.

You can get the frosting smell out easily with some PBW or OxyClean Free. Put some of that in the bucket, fill the bucket with hot water, jam the lid into the bucket, and let it sit overnight. Then rinse and sanitize and it's ready to go.

You'll have issues with headspace, as Shaneoco mentioned. You'll at least need a blowoff tube and 4.5 gallon batches, and at most go to your local homebrew shop and buy a 6 gallon bucket. I use 5 gallon buckets in brewing all the time, but I use them to hold sanitizer while I'm getting other stuff ready, not to actually ferment in. I'd definitely use a 5 gallon bucket to ferment a 3 gallon batch of mead or cyser or something though.

Hey Shaneoco,

Thanks for the response. I will look into an actual bucket at some point in the future. Money is a touch tight at the moment and I kinda like to tinker so i wanna give the build a try, lol.

I have most everything I need laying around to make the build so that's why I figured i'd go ahead and do it.

thx again!

Wily

KCN you responded while i was typing my last reply.

I appreciate the feedback. I am going to look into a 6 gallon bucket. I may try a batch of Mead or something in the 5 gallon bucket instead of beer then. ah the possibilities.

thanks!

I've heard people suggest going out and getting those buckets that hold frosting for brewing so i think your good. It obviously won't hold as much beer as a larger fermenter and a little bit of space will be taken up by the krausen.

But yeah, it'll work as a fermenter. Just clean it up, don't scratch it and make sure the blowoff tube doesn't let any air in.

Back