new fermentation rig w/pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonzx

Reaction score
Got the idea from brewing tv. Overall cost $45.00.
18 gal storage container w/lid 4.99
aqeuon water heater 39.99
+ blanket as temp substitute for lid

I live in wi where my home temps can be a bit chilly so this is going to be my winter setup. I am going to buy a compass tomorrow to cut a hole in the lid for my 6.5 gal primary.

ForumRunner_20130103_021235.png

ForumRunner_20130103_021222.png

ForumRunner_20130103_021203.png

This is the same setup I've used for years to bottle condition in my cold (~50F) basement. I also added a small submersible pump from Harbor Freight to keep temps uniform. Works great. Add a splash of bleach to the water to keep it from getting nasty.

Also: the cheap aquarium heater thermostats fail all the time. I eventually upgraded to a really nice heater that is fully plastic enclosed (much more durable). It was more reliable, but still failed eventually. You'll be fine, just check temps frequently.

I use the Aqueon Pro heater. It works great. I use a big 80 qt cooler. On mine the temp holds to +/- 1/2 degree and can get keep temp from 68-88 even in my cold winter basement. I have a saison sitting in there right now that is at 84 degrees.

I use the Aqueon Pro heater. It works great. I use a big 80 qt cooler. On mine the temp holds to +/- 1/2 degree and can get keep temp from 68-88 even in my cold winter basement. I have a saison sitting in there right now that is at 84 degrees.

Do yo have some method of water circulation to ensure the water is heated evenly?

Back