New fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MABbrew

Reaction score
I just finished my fermentation chamber and have a pumpkin ale that is about ready to be transfered to secondary for a month. The ale has been in the coldest room in my house and started fermentation at around 72 and is now at 70 and I used US-05. My question is after I transfer to secondary should I move it to the chamber and lower the temperature or keep it where it is at 70. I plan on leaving it in the secondary for a month then bottling for 3 or so weeks.

The real benefits of controlled fermentation temp are in the first week - most folks with 05, if possible, would ferment colder for a week, then warm it up slightly to let it clean up.

IMO, no real benefit at this point, but you;re set for next batch.

Thanks for the quick reply. At least I got it done in time to cold crash my IPA before bottling day.

72 is really warm, which means it probably fermented well above 75. Skip the secondary and just bottle/keg if you reached final gravity. Now that you have a chamber ferment at 62.. Your beer will thank you..

I start low at 60 and after 3 days increase temp one degree until I hit 68 just to keep the yeast in suspension to finish out..

It's a big beer, 11%, so I'm going to age it out for a bit and try to mellow some of the flavors before bottle conditioning.

It's a big beer, 11%, so I'm going to age it out for a bit and try to mellow some of the flavors before bottle conditioning.

Then yeah, secondary at room temp . The yeast already did there thing.

Back