New fan of keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a lost summer as far as brewing is concerned and have been busy resupplying my beer inventory all fall.

Now that the kegerator is full again I have started keg conditioning my beer. I have become a real fan of the process. The 3 big advantages to me are:

1) Using available formulas for CO2 volume levels using corn sugar is yielding more correctly carbed beers for me. I have over shot carbonation level more than than once trying to rush it into service

2) When a keg is finished, loading a carbonated keg and having it cooled for serving in 12 hours or so is great!

3) Three weeks of conditioning after racking to a keg negates my impatience to test beers force carbing in the kegerator. I am getting better tasting beer IMO.

I do 10 gal batches and during my fall resupply I would force carb 1 keg of a batch and keg condition the other one. I noticed a taste difference between force carbonated beer and corn sugar carbed beer but not real sure if the carb method was the cause or the additional 3 -5 weeks of age. To me the keg conditioned beers are "smoother."

My kegerator is small and only holds two soda kegs, so I prime. It's probably just an age thing as far as taste, I can't say for sure.

It's age.

I notice a difference in beers in my fridge between when I first start drinking a keg after it's been a couple weeks vs when they have been in there a couple months.

Latest posts

Back