New England Spiced Hard Sai-cer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyruk

Reaction score
Figured I would try this out and was wondering what everyone else though. It's part cider, part mead, and part saison.

3.5 gallons apple cider
3# honey
2oz fresh ginger
7 cinnamon sticks
4tsp yeast nutrient
Belgium saison yeast wlp565

I mixed .5 gallons of the cider with the honey, ginger and cinnamon and then heated to 165-180 for 40 minutes.

Added the mixture to the other cider, aerated and pitched the yeast.

It has been fermenting for 2 days and it smells amazing. I can only hope it tastes just as good.

I am just starting to make more wines and cider, is nutrient something that you can have too much of? If so, what effect will it have on the finished product?

I am just starting to make more wines and cider, is nutrient something that you can have too much of? If so, what effect will it have on the finished product?

Appologies Johnny, I misread the amount of juice you used. That amount of yeast nutrient sounds about right. I'm not sure what effect using to much has though.
I do think that maybe you've gone a bit heavy with the cinnamon.

I used 2 cinnamon sticks per 1 gallon carboy (4 Gallons total..8 cinnamon sticks) and it has turned out nice so far.

Agreed--cinnamon is one of those personal preference things. I see nothing wrong with that much, as long as cinnamon is a flavour you want on the front.

You can always make some more and blend if the spicing is too strong.

I was also assuming that the fermentation will make some of the flavor dissipate. I have used cinnamon in beers before only to have it be almost non exist an in the final product.

I took a gravity reeding tonight and it came in at 1.002. Tasting ginger, cinnamon and a little sweetness still left behind

Back