New England IPA hater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mathematically they may appear nearly identical, but the type of hops used as well as the types of malt used really make them different. Also, yeasts play a huge part. A West Coast IPA is totally different than an earthy, herbal English India Pale Ale that may have some chewy crystal malts in the grain bill, followed by peachy, fruity esters from the yeast.

Also, the style guide for English IPAs is not particularly reflective either of historical or present-day commercial examples. Check out the beer advocate reviews for Greene King IPA, which I would take to be a quintessentially British mass-market watery IPA. If the numbers for British IPAs were more reflective of that style, they would be very far from American IPAs.

Mathematically they may appear nearly identical, but the type of hops used as well as the types of malt used really make them different. Also, yeasts play a huge part. A West Coast IPA is totally different than an earthy, herbal English India Pale Ale that may have some chewy crystal malts in the grain bill, followed by peachy, fruity esters from the yeast.

Also, the style guide for English IPAs is not particularly reflective either of historical or present-day commercial examples. Check out the beer advocate reviews for Greene King IPA, which I would take to be a quintessentially British mass-market watery IPA. If the numbers for British IPAs were more reflective of that style, they would be very far from American IPAs.

Evidence that the IPA category is very broad, and ever changing.

The one thing that makes any American IPA an American IPA is the amount of hop flavor and aroma. Even the lowly Session IPA has a lot of those.

Anyway, the 2015 guidelines allow for infinite variations on the IPA theme. As long as the taster is aware of the intent, that is.

These are the salad days. Moved my first shot at the Julius clone to my keezer...

julius_on_tap.jpg

...which is now full of juicy goodness :D

taplist_11jul2017.jpg

No worries about the Galaxy APA, the other keg from that batch waits in my carb fridge...

Cheers! :mug:

These are the salad days. Moved my first shot at the Julius clone to my keezer...

View attachment 407183

View attachment 407182

No worries about the Galaxy APA, the other keg from that batch waits in my carb fridge...

Is "Salad Days" a term for summer? I've never heard that expression.
There's a brewery up here that makes a session IPL called "Salad Daze" and I always thought that was a weird name.

http://bunkerbrewingco.com/beers/

Last edited:
"Salad days" is a Shakespearean idiomatic expression to refer to a youthful time, accompanied by the inexperience, enthusiasm, idealism, innocence, or indiscretion that one associates with a young person.

As the OP, I'll chime in and say I've had a few on tap at local brewpubs that I enjoyed a bit more than the first, to the point that I'm happy the style exists, but still feel it is too smoothie like. I agree it's an unfortunate name that has evolved...as new England guys, you should have named it Bradicheck, or something more unique....I think having IPA in the names makes this very polarizing, kind of the Don Trump of beer styles.

In hindsight, my original dislike for the style is that my personal taste puts NEIPA as inferior to "regular" IPA's, but regular IPAs are nearly my favorite.

I appreciate the posts about the evolution of mouthfeel and flavor profile creating recipe ingredients that result in the Haze, I think that makes a lot more sense, and helps me to understand the style better.....I get the impression that the 2 bad examples I tried, perhaps the brewer had it reversed.

Being that I'm only 12 batches into my hobby, and about to embark on some heavy hitting fall/winter beers, I doubt I'll brew one of these anytime soon. Of the 2 hip trends, I'm more digging the sour beers.

View attachment 407183

View attachment 407182

All of you guys running brewpi taproom displays, with integrated flow meters, just wanted to say you are my heroes:mug:

I don't think I'll ever get that deep in the homebrew rabbithole...but when the SWMBO challenges any equipment purchases, I pull out a picture like this, or perhaps a crazy EHerms with jacketed conical sin some kids basement, and show her...."honey, I'm just buying a simple xxxxx.....this is nothing compared to what day_trippr is up to!"

I wish I could run a brewpi display. I just don't feel like messing with that. I want a plug and play system

Aren't all chaps assless? :confused: (nevermind)

Correct. People seem to think that chaps are leather pants. They are not. They are worn over pants to protect them, and only cover the exposed part of your leg. So, there is no reason to say "assless chaps", because as you say, all chaps are assless.

When people use those two words together, it tells me a little something about them...

;)

I'd be impressed if there was a specific kind of ale that EVERYONE liked. To me I used to love the ol classic super bitter west coast IPAs found here, first I ever tried was Stone IPA probably about 11-12 years ago. I still do but I'm finding nowadays I really like the restrained bitterness and fruit forward flavors of these NEIPAs. It wasn't until recent that I had the chance to try some good example here in Southern California and I really enjoy them. Even before I knew it was a thing I was thinking in my head how can i get a beer that keeps all the awesome hop flavors and aromas without that bitey bitterness? Looks like my answer came about in the form of the NEIPA.

However I could see if the color wasn't spot on it'd be extremely unappealing.

Correct. People seem to think that chaps are leather pants. They are not. They are worn over pants to protect them, and only cover the exposed part of your leg. So, there is no reason to say "assless chaps", because as you say, all chaps are assless.

When people use those two words together, it tells me a little something about them...

;)

That they'll be high on the guest list for my next party?

;)

I think the term "Assless Chaps" just has a certain appeal to it. I don't know, it just kind of rolls off the tongue nicely.

Assless Chaps

Chaps

Yes, Assless chaps is more better sounding.

So I brewed an IPA last week. SMaSH recipe for an upcoming competition being held at a beer and music festival. Took a taste a day or two ago and brought the temp down to just above freezing to help clear the beer. It was very cloudy, and I already started to plan on calling it a NEIPA, but today, only one or two days later, it racked to secondary pretty much crystal clear. No gelatin needed.

Now I guess I have to drop the NEIPA moniker unless the 2.5 ounces of hops manages to cloud it up again. I doubt that's enough hops to do that.

I'd be impressed if there was a specific kind of ale that EVERYONE liked. To me I used to love the ol classic super bitter west coast IPAs found here, first I ever tried was Stone IPA probably about 11-12 years ago. I still do but I'm finding nowadays I really like the restrained bitterness and fruit forward flavors of these NEIPAs. It wasn't until recent that I had the chance to try some good example here in Southern California and I really enjoy them. Even before I knew it was a thing I was thinking in my head how can i get a beer that keeps all the awesome hop flavors and aromas without that bitey bitterness? Looks like my answer came about in the form of the NEIPA.

However I could see if the color wasn't spot on it'd be extremely unappealing.

Then why not make a sessionable IPA? Use an English ale yeast that does not attenuate as much leaving some residual sweetness, use lots of hops late in the boil. Choose varieties that are gonna give you fruit, Mosaic etc I have tried this with in my opinion good success, making pale ales with lots of hops that come in at 25-30 IBU's, that are full of flavour. What I don't understand is why NEIPA must be murky. Do the creators claim that suspended yeast and other elements add to the flavor experience?

Then why not make a sessionable IPA? Use an English ale yeast that does not attenuate as much leaving some residual sweetness, use lots of hops late in the boil. Choose varieties that are gonna give you fruit, Mosaic etc I have tried this with in my opinion good success, making pale ales with lots of hops that come in at 25-30 IBU's, that are full of flavour. What I don't understand is why NEIPA must be murky. Do the creators claim that suspended yeast and other elements add to the flavor experience?

Neipas have a ton of whirlpool and dry hops. Like double a west coast ipa. Thats done for flavor, but a side effect is additional haze.

We think they also dry hop during active fermentation, again, for flavor (and maybe o2 prevention), and again, we think a side effect is more haze.

We also think they usually use less flocculant yeast for the flavor profile, and a side effect of that is some haze. It may be that the hop oils stick to the suspended yeast rather a than settling out, leaving more hop flavor.

They also tend to be super fresh, because that enhances the hop profile. Tree house sells out the day they package the beer. Many think the flavors degrade noticeably after a month. A side effect of really fresh beer is that there's less time for sediment to drop, and thus, haze. Kimmich says heady drops clear if allowed to sit.

Many neipas use flaked adjuncts like oats to give a full, soft mouthfeel that compliments the soft bitterness and juiciness. A side effect is the haze.

People have tried to isolate the cause of the haze, but I haven't seen anyone who succeeded. There seems to be some sort of voodoo caused by the combination of these factors.

So I don't think they set out to create a hazy beer. They set out to make a really flavorfull, non bitter hop bomb, and when they did, it came out cloudy. But rather than view that as a flaw, I think it looks pretty cool and matches the flavor and mouthfeel well.

Neipas have a ton of whirlpool and dry hops. Like double a west coast ipa. Thats done for flavor, but a side effect is additional haze.

We think they also dry hop during active fermentation, again, for flavor (and maybe o2 prevention), and again, we think a side effect is more haze.

We also think they usually use less flocculant yeast for the flavor profile, and a side effect of that is some haze. It may be that the hop oils stick to the suspended yeast rather a than settling out, leaving more hop flavor.

They also tend to be super fresh, because that enhances the hop profile. Tree house sells out the day they package the beer. Many think the flavors degrade noticeably after a month. A side effect of really fresh beer is that there's less time for sediment to drop, and thus, haze. Kimmich says heady drops clear if allowed to sit.

Many neipas use flaked adjuncts like oats to give a full, soft mouthfeel that compliments the soft bitterness and juiciness. A side effect is the haze.

People have tried to isolate the cause of the haze, but I haven't seen anyone who succeeded. There seems to be some sort of voodoo caused by the combination of these factors.

So I don't think they set out to create a hazy beer. They set out to make a really flavorfull, non bitter hop bomb, and when they did, it came out cloudy. But rather than view that as a flaw, I think it looks pretty cool and matches the flavor and mouthfeel well.

I agree. I did not plan an NEIPA with oats, or weheat or whatever. It had to be a SMaSH, so for me that was Pale Malt and Loral Hops (HB 291??). I added plenty of calcium, rather than using less, as a NEIPA would. I did not dryhop during the height of active fermentation.

I did not plan to make it a NEIPA, just surprised it cleared as fast as it did with only a cold crash.

The first taste is ok, but I doubt it will be winning this competition. I wanted to try these hops and a SMaSH was the best way. I'll know more after dry hopping and carbing up, but I think my best hope for winning it having the most memorable table decorations!

Having a few west coast and a few neipa tonight I can confirm my suspicions (Imo) that neipa not not hoppier than west coast.

All the techniques that apply to neipa apply to my own west coast.

The main difference Ime is mouthfeel. With them being different not one being better than the other.

Just my thoughts

Tried Stillwater Artisanal Ales This Beer Will Self-destruct In 336h : 33m : ;7s

IPA · 7.0%*· Baltimore, MD

Looks like every description of NEIPA I've read.
Smelled amazeballs looked like ****

Grew on me over the 10oz draw. I love Nelson Sauvin, it was definitely juicy, not something I'll try to brew.

sorry, but that picture I posted is #1 - not mine & #2 - not HAZY.

it's MURKY.

looks like a big buttload of harvested yeast, like a starter

so, if'n it means more for you, power to ya... no way would I drink it.

Well if you're NEIPA looked like the picture you posted, then what you had was no real NEIPA. If you have hop debris or suspended yeast, you are a victim of mis labeling. If you ever get to southern NH our nano in Concord serves up one of the best, Misguided Angel. Google, Litherman's Limited Brewery.

I've had two of these now, one just last night, by Mikkeller.

They are pretty damn good, IMHO. Again IMHO, anyone who won't try one of these just because of the looks is being and wanting to remain ignorant.

Back