New Electric Brew Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTODD

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of building my BCS controlled electric brewery and would like comments/suggestions on my build before I complete everything.

I have attached a diagram of my setup.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

Brew Flow.png

You might want to consider using your second pump during the mash to circulate the HLT water to reduce temperature gradients and increase the response time of the MLT temps. This is common practice for herms setups.

Also I'm not following your diagram for whirlpooling. Here is how I do it. Once boil is over I have my pump in between the BK and my plate chiller. Output of the plate chiller goes to my BK return. I pump hot wort through the chiller and back to the kettle for a few minutes with the cold water turned off to sanitize the chiller. Then I turn on the cold water and adjust the valve on the output of my pump until the output of the chiller temp is the same as my ground water temp. After that I close the whirlpool return on the BK and move that hose to the fermentor.

I would suggest taking the diagram that you have and making a number of copies for each stage of the process and highlight the fluid paths for that stage. Having one diagram show all stages at once makes it hard to clearly see each stage of the process.

I sanitize my counter-flow chiller the same way by pumping near boiling wort through it and returning it to whirlpool in the kettle. I had room for an electric powered RIMS setup using BIAB, but I agree the fluid flow/connections are near impossible to capture in a single drawing.

Thanks guys! I never thought of doing that with the CF hose but I will definitely be making those mods and will create separate drawings for each stage.

PTODD

Back