New cyser tastes sooo good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a new cyser,
(1 US gallon) on July 6.
I used 1lb 12 oz of local to me wildflower honey, 1 cinnamon stick, a small handful of raisins, 2 bottles (1.6 qts/ea) of Simply Apple juice & half a packet of 71B rehydrated with Goferm protect.
OG 1.110
I got busy with other things & didn't have a chance to take readings & keep up with TOSNA schedule. I took a reading over the weekend & it had come down to 1.046 & was tasting fantastic!
I added the only round of nutrients it will get, .4 tsp Fermaid O & .5 tsp yeast hulls. As basic as the recipe is, the cinnamon really made this taste almost like apple pie.
This is my go to juice. Just pressed apples, nothing added, (except by me, of course).
The first cyser I made came out way too sweet. Back then I used 3 pounds of honey in every mead I made, not taking into account for the sugars in the juice. I also made a pineapple the same way. WAAAY too sweet, but, delicious as a cordial or dessert mead. Lesson learned. I am much better now @ calculating my sugars for target gravity, thanks to these forums & all of the folks who answer questions.
I can't wait to see if that cinnamon mellows in secondary or if it will stay where it is. I know a lot of people say those flavors mostly get burped out in primary, but, it certainly doesn't seem the case with this batch.
If this batch turns out half as good as it tasted a couple of days ago, I'll have to start another batch right away.😋
This is by far the best group/forum for helpful advice from a lot of experienced people, certainly more experienced than myself, that never seems to run out of kindness towards people just starting out on the mead journey.

I love this hobby! 😁
Happy meading 😎

Attachments

• 20210706_034231.jpg
    20210706_034231.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Don't forget, of course, that there is nothing to prevent the yeast from eating their way through every last grain of fermentable sugar. Today, you suggest that the cyser is delicious at 1.046 but in another few weeks this cyser will likely be below 1.000 and without any significant perceived sweetness it may taste quite different. I am likely teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs but be prepared to stabilize this cyser and back sweeten after you've allowed it to age and before you bottle it.

Don't forget, of course, that there is nothing to prevent the yeast from eating their way through every last grain of fermentable sugar. Today, you suggest that the cyser is delicious at 1.046 but in another few weeks this cyser will likely be below 1.000 and without any significant perceived sweetness it may taste quite different. I am likely teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs but be prepared to stabilize this cyser and back sweeten after you've allowed it to age and before you bottle it.
Noted & thanks for the heads up @bernardsmith.
I aways wait till fermentation is completely done, 3 consecutive readings in a row over a 2 week period and 1 more reading for good measure. Although I typically step feed to tolerance then backsweeten to taste. I'm in no hurry for it to be done. I have plenty to drink.😂

I should also note, I taste my meads every time I take a reading. Not much, but, enough for a good taste to see if there is anything funky going on. I like how the flavors & properties change as it finishes up fermentation & then, as it ages. July 1, 2020 I started on this mead adventure and it has blossomed into a full blown hobby for me. 😁

Back