New CO2 lines do they need to be sanitized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just got new vinyl tubing for the CO2 line to my keg and I'm wondering if I need to sanitize it or if I can just hook it up straight from the store

I'd sanitize it. Just unhook one side (usually a hose clamp) with a screwdriver and spray the hose, tap and ball/pin lock with starsan or iodophor water. Then, hook the hose clamp back up, tighten it good and attach it to the keg. Push a cup of beer through it and discard, then serve up.

Wait, why are you pushing beer through a CO2 line? Have never sanitized a CO2 line and never had an issue. If you're concerned why not just soak for a few minutes in Starsan before assembling?

I'm not pushing beer thru it I'm pushing co2 from the tank to the keg...just wondering if it needs to be sanitized or cleaned before I use it. The old co2 line caught some beer in it previously so I replaced it with new tubing today

My pushing beer comment was with regards to a previous reply, not your posts. Have never sanitized one myself, but if you're concerned, by all means do.

Unless there's some obvious contaminant in the line, I don't see the point. The inside of the CO2 tank isn't sanitized...

I would soak them in starsan for a few minutes....... Homebrew shops are full of grain dust. It gets everywhere. Grain dust = nasties.

Back