New Cheese Cave: Eddie cucha catcha cama.......................

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Remember: Eddie cucha catcha cama, tosta nana tosta noka, samma camma wacky Brown..... the guy who fell into the well and drowned because it took so long to say his name.....

****** Campfire song from the 50's and 60's *******

Well, I have just such a well, a 48" diameter hand dug and rocked up well that dates from around the turn of the century. I've had it covered with steel plate...... keeping it intact for sentimental and historic reasons. It is the old city well for this tiny town, and was last used about 30 years ago. The top of the well is a concrete pad, in a tiny well house that I use for storage. When I moved here it was covered with a piece of rotted plywood.

The well is only 14' deep, and this time of year has only about a foot of water..... later it will be almost 10 feet of water, and a fire truck pump cannot even begin to drop the water level....... I know... I tried once!!

Today I torched a hole large enough to lower cheese into it, but small enough that no human could fall in, and covered it with a hinged steel plate. that lifts up and over. The plate has a steel ring on the bottom side to tie on a rope so I can raise and lower a basket, which will hang about 4' below the opening.

You couldn't ask for a more constant temp, and I have a cheese aging in it already........

H.W.

Back