New Brewer's Stupid Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rel322

Reaction score
So I'm getting nervous... I brewed my first batch today, but I made an error. I used Wyeast 1056 and instead of popping the inner bag to mix with the yeast, I opened the package dumped the yeast in, noticed the bag, cut that open and dumped it into my cooling wort. (I didn't read the instructions.)

Now its 5 hours later, the airlock isn't bubbling or what ever noise it's supposed to make, and no smell is coming from the container. (Someone on another thread said it might smell like sweet rotting eggs for a couple of days) So i'm nervous, how do I know it's actually fermenting and not just sitting there?

RDWHAB! If you don't see activity in 24 hours, repitch. I would suggest "rocking the baby" Swirl the fermenter a little to get the yeast up off the bottom of the fermenter. DONT SHAKE IT!! Just "swirl" this will help a little getting them yeasties back up in the fermenter and going to work.

Chances are your going to be fine...

Cheers
Jay

It can take up to 72 hours to see visible signs of fermentation. The yeast will do its job, don't worry. You did the right thing by adding the nutrient packet. Next time you might also consider making a starter as one packet is usually underpitching. Try looking at mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com for proper pitch rates.

The "smack pack" is essentially making a small starter -- the yeast is in there, it just needs time to get going. As previously stated, just gently swirl your carboy or bucket some, and let it be.

Make sure your fermentation temperature is within comfortable range for the yeast too. In the first 12 hours or so after pitching, I like to set a space heater to 70 deg. to allow my wort to be at perfect pitching temp.

Once the airlock starts to go crazy, fermentation will generate its own heat, so you can bring down the room temp back to normal. (My house is set at 65 right now)

Good luck!

For 1056, I like to pitch it around 62 (beer temp, not ambient) after I've made a starter. The nutrient pack helps to wake the yeast up, but it doesn't actually increase the cell count like a true starter will. Making 5 gallons of 1.050 beer? Do a single-step 1.5L starter and you are right on the money for cell count.

After pitching, I'll let it come up to 65 or so until primary fermentation slows down, then I bring it up to 68-70 to finish up. Again, that is beer temp and not ambient temp.

Yeast generate most of the flavor compounds during the first 24 hours after you pitch, and higher temps will lead to more of those flavor compounds. 1056 is a clean ale yeast, so typically folks want very little yeast profile from it, and keeping temps in the low-to-mid 60's early on is a great way to help keep them from generating those flavors.

You'll be fine, I wouldn't even swirl the carboy. The yeast will do their job, they just missed their first snack.

So I smelled the airlock this morning on my way to work, and it smelled of a sweet something. Not sure what, but I assume that it's working. Thanks for all the advice.

Sorry for the constant stream of questions. I checked MrMalty.com for the pitching amount without a starter, it says i should use 1.9 packs. Should I buy another yeast pack and add it? If so, when do I add it, asap or after the initial week? (or somewhere in between)

what are the problems in malting.
pls provide solutions..

Maybe in the future you will want to build up a starter, but for this time I wouldn't bother. If you really want to though, I'd add it ASAP. There is not good reason to add a second packet later. Most of the action happens at the start.

New brewers, IMO, should stick to dry yeast. There is no good reason to spend twice as much money for WY 1056 as compared to dry US 05 yeast, and with dry you get twice as much yeast, and thus don't underpitch (because one smack pack or vial is generally underpitching- it will still ferment but will start slow etc), and less issues with viability (shipping liquid in extreme heat or cold is a problem).
1056 and US 05 are virtually the same Cal ale/Chico ale strain-- a clean neutral strain.
good luck!

Back