New Brewer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwyso

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have been coming to this site for the past 6 months to better understand how to brew and so far I have made two batches. The first one wasn't all that good, but the second one has a pretty good taste to it. I think carbonation is my biggest issues because it seems that after a couple of weeks they are still tasting a little syrupy and i cant figure out why. I did the boiling of the priming sugar for 5 gallons at added at the bottom and then racked on top of that and it still isn't getting carbonated. It may just be im new but im going to try the drops on the next one just so that i know its completely level throughout. Any thoughts? Thanks to everyone here and their expert knowledge! I am currently reading the how to brew book from my finance and its great!!! I do have questions on that though on utilization! Ugh so much to ask haha. Thanks again to everyone!

Carbonation will require 3 weeks minimum at 70F. The higher the gravity beers will take longer. Ingredients impact carbonation time. The syrupy taste can be many things so will need to know what you brewed and your process. The type and amount of yeast and did you use a starter.

For utilization, I assume you mean hop utilization and there are tables and data online about it but basically it is how much of the essential oils and acids you extract from the hops during the boil and is impacted by boil time and specific gravity of the wort and the types of sugars and the proteins in the wort.

wow thanks a lot.. i have a feeling this will be a very great resource.. thanks again.. i gotta find the recipe i used.. i dont have it with me because my buddy and I made it together but i do have it on the beersmith tool.. I will have to find it there.. thanks!

Latest posts

Back