New Brewer Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefPepperoni

Reaction score
Good morning everyone!

I’ve just recently started brewing my own beer with all of this free time on my hands!

So far, I’ve only used kits to make my beers and have had a lot of success with tweaking the kits. I’m about to start 2 more before I begin learning how to make my own wort.

I’ve been substituting the water for tea and have had great result. But, I’m curious on how to tackle my next beers.

I would like to do a orange and coriander pale ale and a “Smokey Pilsner”. What would be the best way to impart those flavours?

I was thinking of infusing the water with orange zest and coriander or would I want to add those ingredients in while it’s fermenting?

For the Smokey Pilsner, I was thinking of smoking the water or experimenting with liquid smoke in the water. I do know liquid smoke can be finicky though.

Thanks for reading!

Nowadays, smoked beer is made with smoked malt.

For the other adjuncts, use orange peel (bitter or sweet varieties exist for purchase) and crushed coriander. You can follow a recipe and add it in the boil, or you can make a concentrated hot tea and add it at packaging to a level based on your taste, which is more work but you have more control.

Last edited:
You could steep smoked malt for a smokey flavor. I don't know if liquid smoke would work might be a very fine between good and awful.

Both beers sound awesome. Also sounds like you have the brew bug once you start experimenting and having fun ideas you are hooked.

I had a friend who made a peppercorn honey kolsch. It was... interesting but it was great with a pork chops

I put 15g of crushed Indian coriander and 15g of bitter orange peel in my witbier for 5m at the end of the boil, and it comes out where I want it.

You can also adjust by making tinctures soaking coriander and orange peel in vodka and then adding it until you like the result.

A little goes a long way with tinctures

Others have chimed in on the orange coriander thing, so the only thing I'll say is that there are recipes that use it - Belgian style Witbier, , Saisons, and occasionally tripels. Take a look around at some of those recipes to get an idea on how much to use, especially if you have access to the originals of those beers.
As far as the liquid smoke goes, I would advise against using that in beer - in my experience it always gives that chemical "smoke" flavor as opposed to a more natural aroma. There's plenty of smoked malts out there, depending on your taste. But another warning: go light. Those can go a long way too, depending on how fresh it is. Start with half the amount you think, then if you want, you can brew it again and increase the amount. (that's the best thing about homebrewing; you can always make more.)

Back