New Brewer In Tampa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been researching and watching my friends brew for several months. Finally procured all of my equipment and decided have a crack at it. I brewed my first batch almost a month ago (Cascades Orange Pale Ale). It's currently in the keg carbing up. I made several mistakes along the way but it appears I didn't ruin the beer, thankfully. Saturday I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout. Used a recipe from my LHBS. I added cocoa at flameout as I want to give it a more chocolatey flavor like a Rogue Double Chocolate Stout. Target was 1.090, and I was at 1.085 so I'm happy. Here are a few lessons I learned with my first brew.

• Use steeping bags, especially when using orange zest and crushed corriander.
  • If you end up just throwing the ingredients right in to the boil make sure you use some form of filter when kegging. My beer line clogged repeatedly from all the junk I didn't filter out.
  • Ensure your gas line and beer line are hooked up accordingly to the keg. They are not interchangeable. LOL

Anyway, it's a learning experience and I've learned quite a lot just from reading this forum, so thanks. Looking forward to many more brews.

-Jason

Have you connected with a local club? The Tampa area has a bunch.

No, only my second batch. My friend Aaron goes to a club that meets at some Irish pub in the Brandon area. I don't think I have the time at this point with 2 kids, one of which is 8 months. I barely have the time to carve out for brewing. Someday.

I know Aaron. He's a Brandon Bootlegger. That's my club. Join us (or another club) soon! One evening a month.

Latest posts

Back