New Brewer from Hillsborough, NC (Raleigh Durham area)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefchili

Reaction score
I am new to brewing, but spent a most of my life enjoying other brewers' works. I had been wanting to get into it for some time and it all came together this year.

I am starting out all grain on the front-end and kegs on the back-end. I figure beyond the money, what could the downside be.

I have what was supposed to be a Blue Moon clone in one keg, a Belgian Abby ale in another and a Duvel clone in the fermenter. While the Blue Moon clone is not what I had in mind, it is real good.

I found this site by looking around on the web and as a number of folks have stated, this site had the most useful information. The people seemed friendly and helpful...all good things.

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your Belgian beers. I am looking forward to brewing some up this summer. You just missed out on a group grain buy in your area:( You might look for that thread in the All-Grain section.:mug:

Welcome to HBT. There are a lot of NC brewers on here, especially in the Triangle area. Do a search for GRABASS (Greater Raleigh Area Brewers & Suds Sippers). We're not exactly a brew club, just guys who get together every once in a while to brew beer & talk smack, but we do organize brew days and bulk buys and are a good source of knowledge (mainly in the "what not to do" department).

Thank you for the info. I have only found three local places to get grain and it is a bit steep. A bulk buy would be nice. I will also look at that group mentioned.

There are two local brew clubs who are a lot more serious (they have dues, meetings, morals, that kind of thing). CARBOY serves Cary, Apex & Raleigh while TRUB tends to lean more toward Durham & Chapel Hill (at least in my experience).

GRABASS is not a true brew club, but there are a lot of us on HomeBrewTalk.com. We do have our own mailing list and Google Group .

You have a local brewery starting up in Hillsborough, Mystery Brewing Co.. Erik is a cool guy. Definitely get to know him.

Welcome from RTP/RDU area. Definitely keep on the lookout for the next round of bulk buying. We have ordered close to 5 tons in the last couple months so it may be a little while before we do it again. Last I knew, Bull City Homebrew in Durham had domestic 2-row for ~$42 if you haven't checked them out yet, but I assume you have. Cheers!

Back