New Bayou Classic burner - maybe problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeasu

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just got a new Bayou Classic LP burner. Assembled it, checked the connections with soapy water per instructions, didn't see any problems. Lit er up - seemed normal, opened the air shutter to blue flames, and kept going - once the air shutter was maybe 3/4 or a bit more open, big WOOSH, and the soft hiss was more of a roar, yellow flames - turned things off immediately. Waited a few minutes, relit with the air shutter barely open, slowly opened until I had nice blue flames, then left it - no repeat.

Some sort of flashback once it was sucking in too much oxygen? This only ever happened with my old burner when the hose-burner connection had to be tightened, but pretty sure this new one is tight enough. Will double check the connection with soap test later, wanted to get 2nd opinions - didn't know if this can happen simply with misadjusting the air shutter, or indicative of a bigger problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
Hello all,

Just got a new Bayou Classic LP burner. Assembled it, checked the connections with soapy water per instructions, didn't see any problems. Lit er up - seemed normal, opened the air shutter to blue flames, and kept going - once the air shutter was maybe 3/4 or a bit more open, big WOOSH, and the soft hiss was more of a roar, yellow flames - turned things off immediately. Waited a few minutes, relit with the air shutter barely open, slowly opened until I had nice blue flames, then left it - no repeat.

Some sort of flashback once it was sucking in too much oxygen? This only ever happened with my old burner when the hose-burner connection had to be tightened, but pretty sure this new one is tight enough. Will double check the connection with soap test later, wanted to get 2nd opinions - didn't know if this can happen simply with misadjusting the air shutter, or indicative of a bigger problem.

Thanks,

Mike
This may or may not have something to do with what your experiencing but I know the propane tanks now have a plastic ball inside the neck as a safety mechanism and if too much gas flow is allowed to flow from the tank too quickly the ball raises up and chokes off most of the gas flow. This is what happens when you forget to turn a burner off on a gas grill and turn the tank valve on... The grill flame will be tiny and the mix may be off. (You would be surprised how many fools buy a new grill at that point) instead of just closing the grill burner knobs and then the reopening the propane tank knob.

because you may not have a knob on you bayou burner (mine doesnt have one) opening the air shutter too much may have decreased the back pressure enough ,quickly enough to cause the float to block off much of the gas from the tank.

This may or may not have something to do with what your experiencing but I know the propane tanks now have a plastic ball inside the neck as a safety mechanism and if too much gas flow is allowed to flow from the tank too quickly the ball raises up and chokes off most of the gas flow. This is what happens when you forget to turn a burner off on a gas grill and turn the tank valve on... The grill flame will be tiny and the mix may be off. (You would be surprised how many fools buy a new grill at that point) instead of just closing the grill burner knobs and then the reopening the propane tank knob.

because you may not have a knob on you bayou burner (mine doesnt have one) opening the air shutter too much may have decreased the back pressure enough ,quickly enough to cause the float to block off much of the gas from the tank.

Mine does have the knob, but your description of the safety feature sounds like what was described in the owner's manual. Probably brewing this weekend, so will keep a close eye on things. Once I eased back on the air vent and just let it go, didn't repeat at all. Thanks!

Back